Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Repair of Windows XP Home Edition

• Please log in to reply

Just Right

Just Right

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello to all,
Grandson has a Emachine and the OS came with the purchase. Problem is that the Machine is a little flaky and I want to do a repair of the system but, he no longer has the restore disk (S) that came with the system. The product code is on the machine and I am able to download the updates from the web. This is a genuine copy of the OS......My question is " can I use my retail copy of XP home that I run om my pc to do a repair of his and if so what is the correct procedure to do so?
Thanks for any help that someone can shed on this.
Just Right

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Legally no not without taking your Retail copy off your computer first because his key will not work with your disk - you would have to use your key.
You need to obtain an OEM CD to be able to use his key.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yes you can use yours for a repair on his system...as long as its the same version...IE home or pro...they wont mix...

Edited by happyrck, 06 January 2008 - 07:44 AM.

Just Right

Just Right

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,
Do I have to obtain a version of OEM from E Machines or will any OEM of XP home Edition work, That will allow me to use his product key? Thanks in advance. :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if your just trying to repair xp ...any retail or OEM cd will work...if your trying to do a new install then you will have to use the recovery partition or restore cd that came with the computer...

Just Right

Just Right

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hapyrck,
Tried to use my retail version of XP home (Sam Version) for a repair on OEM machine and everything went fine until prompted to enter product code,,,,I entered the original OEM product code and it would not take it. Purchased a OEM copy and ran a repair and entered the original product code of the OEm and it worked great. Thanks for your help.
Just Right

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
glad you got it working... :) and your welcome
whats a XP home (Sam Version)

Edited by happyrck, 09 January 2008 - 07:54 AM.

Just Right

Just Right

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
happyrck,
Sorry about the typo......Should have been "same version"
just right