Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

P4 2.4 upgrade..

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yes you had already mentioned that, sorry.
Trust me, your money is much better off spend on that GPU.
James

Advertisements

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

for the price of the card (which is a really killer card) I can get the mobo, memory (which is DDR2 VS my current DDR), and vidoe card that's PCIx16 which performs better than AGP ever will

i beg to differ

your system with an AGP 7900gs will MURDER a similar setup with the same CPU and DDR2 and PCI-E ~8600gt or similar. you have to look at the second number in nvidia's product number. in this case 9 vs 6, thus, 7900gs > 8600GT which is probably in the price range you were expecting. correct me.

Bahlzeron

Bahlzeron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
ok.. kool then, I have A.D.D. so I have a tendancy to overthink pretty much everything (I even question reality most days...lol) thanx for the advice guys :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

you have to look at the second number in nvidia's product number. in this case 9 vs 6, thus, 7900gs > 8600GT which is probably in the price range you were expecting.

If only that were true..... Which it's not. The 8600GTS is better then the 7900GS.
Any AGP card is more expensive then the PCIe market due to tighter supply on products.
James

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
yes, the 8600 would give DX10 support, and some other new features, but as far a raw power, for a DX9 or OpenGL game, i'd take the 7900 any day, it is a upper-end card of the 7 series, versus the 8600, a mid-range card of the 8 series. plus, afaik this is just to keep him happy until he gets a new machine, which can have all the new standards. for the price of around $130 after rebate, a 7900gs is a superb upgrade from a 6200 (if thats what he has if i remember correctly).

Bahlzeron

Bahlzeron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
well unfortunately my yearly income is less than some people spend on their gaming rigs.. so I'm really looking for the long haul here... not to last just til tax saeson.. but maybe even another year.... or more.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
and if he gets the 8 series, he has to go with a new board, and new memory, which will not yield enough performance to be worth the coin if he uses his existing processor, and if he changes that it's a whole new system. he may as well get an agp card for another year or so, then he can build a new system, and get a 9 series or whatnot. and i'm judging by power/price. i don't think he should sink money in a new board which he still can not use in the future due to being socket 478

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
i'm keeping my rig as-is for about two more years, by the way. i'm waiting for OpenGL 3, since i use linux and don't care about DX10. also, like you, i can't build a new system anytime sooner.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

yes, the 8600 would give DX10 support, and some other new features

That would be dependent on the first number, not the second. :)

I never suggested getting a 8x00 series card. I really don't think you read any of my posts, I haven't suggest that he purchase anything other then a video card. :)

James

Edited by james_8970, 09 January 2008 - 08:50 PM.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
@ james

sorry, i need more sleep. and got a little hot tempered. i must have understood you wrong.

i wanted to say: 8600 is good for dx10 and newer stuff, but i would suggest the 7900gs for more power running older stuff.

Advertisements

Bahlzeron

Bahlzeron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I'm not too interested in DX 10 either.. need Vista to get it.. and I have no intention of goin to Vista until Microcrap pulls thier heads outta their butts and gets goin on fixing thei broken junk. I've heard nothin but complaints about it as far as gaming goes.. average Joe user seems to be happy though. "It's not what Vista can do for you, but what you can buy for Vista"- Mac commercial (love that line)

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
agreed, no reason to upgrade to vista, and i have used it and installed vista a handful of times, xp is just fine for 95% of windows users.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I would never suggest buying a 8600 series card, it's terrible when compared to the 7900 series, whether it be new or old games.
The 8600 doesn't have enough raw processing power to utilize any of the new features, so the existence of the new features means nothing as they will not produce any gains.
James

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

I would never suggest buying a 8600 series card, it's terrible when compared to the 7900 series, whether it be new or old games.
The 8600 doesn't have enough raw processing power to utilize any of the new features, so the existence of the new features means nothing as they will not produce any gains.
James

RIGHT ON!!!

Bahlzeron

Bahlzeron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
really?.. didn't know the 7900 was better than the 8600. But I'm also goin off what I see advertised.. at which point they push the latest, which isn't always the greatest.