Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard Not Detected At Startup

• Please log in to reply

Asitro

Asitro

• Pip
  • 1 posts
There is a problem with my computer not detecting the keyboard throughout the entire startup process of the computer.

This basically means I cannot enter the BIOS because I can't press the DEL key when it prompts for it, and I can't reinstall my OS because I "can't press anny key to boot from CD".

I'm using a USB keyboard, and I have tried using another keyboard to see if that was the problem, as well as a PS/2 adapter to see if it's something to do with the USB ports.

On top of all this, I get this super loud voice that yells out "NO KEYBOARD DETECTED" right after the bios prompt at the very beginning.

This happened a long while back and I just keep my speakers off whenever I restart the computer, because the speech is at maximum volume... But now I'd like to reinstall windows and I'm unable to do so beecause of this issue so I'd really appreciate if someone could help out.

My motherboard is:

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Welcome to geeks to go.

You may have lost the USB drivers. Do you notice the num lock, caps lock, and scroll lock lites come on and off?

Can you try a PS2 keyboard. Borrow 1 if you have to.
There is a way to "tab" your way around the screeens in windows, but is difficult. Try the keyboard 1st and we can go from there.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Once you get into BIOS with a PS2 keyboard, enable Legacy USB support and that will usually allow you to use the USB keyboard at all times.