Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Belkin Router Disconnects PC and 360 (wired ethernet) from Internet

• Please log in to reply

Ario

Ario

• Pip
  • 9 posts
This is a pretty specific problem, but I'm hoping someone can help me out with this :)

I have a Belkin F5D7632ef4a wireless router. First I'll explain the problem with my PC (Windows XP Home edition SP2)
It can randomly just stop my internet access, I can be surfing the web or on MSN and my connection to the network will remain constant, but no web pages will load. Trying to access the router control panel (192.168.2.1) won't work either, Internet Explorer will just say the page could not be found.

To fix this I have to not only restart the router (unplug and plug in) but at the same time restart my entire PC. Even disconnecting the Ethernet wire won't work, it has to be a complete restart. Usually, by the time I log back in the ADSL light and the Internet light and solid and my connection will be fine, but sometimes the Internet light won' come up no matter how long I wait, and I have to go into the router control panel to re-connect.
Sometimes I can go all day without this happening, sometimes it can be every 5 minutes. If the PC has been left unused for a while then I can guarantee that it will need to be restarted.

Xbox 360:

If the aforementioned problem has already happened with the PC then I need to restart the 360 and the router, and then go into the router control panel to manually reconnect it.

If the router is working as it should I have no problems with Xbox Live, all features work properly and my NAT settings are Open 100% of the time (though if i do a connection test it can spend up to 30 seconds on the ICMP stage)

But if I'm playing on the 360, every 30-45 minutes the ADSL light can start blinking on the router (the Internet Light stays Solid) and if I'm in an online game it pases and tries to re-establish a connection. . When the ADSL light is solid an error message will usually pop-up or I'll be returned to the game lobby. After this I can start a new game as if nothing happened, but chances are the game I'm playing will think I quit out of spite and I'd be penalised.

The funny thing is that any devices connected Wirelessly (I have WEP security enabled, and I'm not using someone else's network by accident) have no issues whatsoever :)

Advertisements

Sometimes needs help

Sometimes needs help

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Ok. So you have a ADSL connection? Try going into Start > Run > ipconfig /all make sure u have the space before the /. Check it when you are connected to the internet and when you aren't. When you look at it.. It should have something to do with the Gateway. Please check the Gateway both times and post them here.

Ario

Ario

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
BTW: the connection dropped just after I posted my query :)

This is what the ipconfg /all command looks like when I'm connected:

Posted Image

I'll post what it looks like when the connection drops next time it happens.

Ario

Ario

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I wasn't able to get a picture until recently when it's been playing up very badly.

Posted Image

EDIT: Bah, they're exactly the same!

Edited by Ario, 25 January 2008 - 12:13 PM.