Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disk management problem

• Please log in to reply

jc_oo12

jc_oo12

• Pip
  • 8 posts
<_<

Hey guys I hope you can help me with this.

I recently used a handy tool called DiskJockey which basically copies a drive sector by sector to another drive. Everything went great and my Win2k server came up fine except that the target drive which is orignally 80GB looked identical to the 20GB drive I had on the source drive.

Looking through the Windows 2000 disk manager I've noticed that the free space is seen as unallocated space. I'm aware that I can create an extended partition with its own drive letter but unfortunately my boss wants to merge the unused space into the primary partition. I've tried loading up 3rd party software such as Partition Magic but none of them seem to even want to install on Windows 2000 Server.

Anybody have any ideas? I would very much appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance,

~jc :D

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You'll need to use a third party program. Partition Magic should work. <_< Do you have the current version and latest updates?

jc_oo12

jc_oo12

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

You'll need to use a third party program. Partition Magic should work. <_<  Do you have the current version and latest updates?

Thanks for the reply but I've tried Partition Magic and it doesn't support Windows 2000 SERVER. Works fine in Professional though. Unfortunately this is a server I'm working on. The version I currently have is 8. I see PartitionMagic Pro on Symantec's website but the compatibility list doesn't list Server either so I'm kind of hesitant about spending money on it.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Have you made any changes to the data? I know Norton Ghost and Drive Image support resizing the partition while copying.

Wonder why Partition Magic won't work on Windows 2000 Server <_< It's the same file system (NTFS) and the data should all look the same to PM? Strange.

jc_oo12

jc_oo12

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Have you made any changes to the data? I know Norton Ghost and Drive Image support resizing the partition while copying.

Wonder why Partition Magic won't work on Windows 2000 Server <_< It's the same file system (NTFS) and the data should all look the same to PM? Strange.

Oh the copy was done through a hardware piece. It's a little device that you plug your IDE drives to and just hit the button.. a few minutes and it copies one drive to another. I used no software to do this copy. I'm sorry I should have clarified that initially.

As far as PM goes I don't know why they don't support Server. It won't install. It tells me that it's detected Windows 2000 Server and says it needs to quit. I know it's strange. I'm about to :D on this and try to convince them to just have a logical drive or load up the server from sratch which I would hate to do!

Thanks,

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Wonder if System Commander would work?
http://www.v-com.com...ct/sc7_ind.html

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Powerquest offered a version of Partion Magic for servers, PowerQuest Server Magic 4.0. But, I don't see it anywhere on Symatec's site <_<

jc_oo12

jc_oo12

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Server Magic is $3000!!! wow

jc_oo12

jc_oo12

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Okay just FYI I finally fixed it with Server Magic. It seems as though we had it laying around here from a while ago. Thanks for your help!!

~jc <_<