Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

User Account Recovery

• Please log in to reply

jud149

jud149

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I inadvertently deleted a user account that was established by a program I installed. Since I can no longer open this program, I'm assuming it's due to this deletion. The user account is HP Update Access, Limited Account, Password Protected. Is it possible to recover this user account and its related files?

Edited by jud149, 06 January 2008 - 12:13 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I doubt you can recover the account, but you may be able to save the data/files it contained. Look in

C:\Documents and Settings\HP Update Access

If that folder is still there, then you should be able to save the files it contains. If you get Access denied messages when you try to do this, you will have to take ownership of that folder, see here:

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;308421

jud149

jud149

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I'll give it a whirl. Many thanks!

jud149

jud149

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
File is not there, but thanks anyway.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
workaround...reinstall the program to your own account...

jud149

jud149

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yep, that's what I'm a gonna do. Thanks!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If the files are important to you, you could try a File Recovery program. I've had some success with Restoration. There are many other free file recovery programs available as well, a Google search will find them for you.

jud149

jud149

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yeah, I tried that but no luck. I'm just going to have to reinstall it. It's a large file requiring a complicated install but looks like I'm gonna have to do it. Thanks!