Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't access workgroup (networking)

• Please log in to reply

rlogan

rlogan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

I have put together a wired network at home that consists of a wireless router (with access point disabled) and 2 PCs.
Basically, I'm able to simultaneously access and surf the internet with both computers.

The problem i have is that, from one of the 2 computers, PC1, i cannot access the workgroup that both computers are on; it says i may not have permission. (I'm logged on as system administrator). Note: from PC1, i can ping both the router (192.168.1.1) PC2 (192.168.1.3).

From the second computer, PC2, i can access the workgroup and i can see both computers on there. From PC2, i can ping the router (192.168.1.1). However, i cannot ping PC1 (192.168.1.2).

The router is provisioned to be DHCP.

Please help.

Thanks,

Rich

Advertisements

Sometimes needs help

Sometimes needs help

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
For one, please tell me your operating systems. If one is Vista and one is XP, it could be a problem that takes some time to fix. Make sure you have sharing enabled on both computer for the area connection. Every little detail can help!

rlogan

rlogan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

For one, please tell me your operating systems. If one is Vista and one is XP, it could be a problem that takes some time to fix. Make sure you have sharing enabled on both computer for the area connection. Every little detail can help!

Hi,
Both PCs are running the XP operating system.

lizgold

lizgold

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
I'm having the exact same problem.... Anyone else have ideas on this?

I've tried a bunch of troubleshooting steps from various websites, but nothing seems to work.

Thanks,

Liz

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
firewall or internet securitym can block workgroup computers in network. Try disabling the firewall from the computer that cannot ping the other computer.

Disabling the firewall using msconfig:

click start>run>type msconfig
under services tab put a check on hide all microsoft services
uncheck all the boxes relating to your internet security or firewall (e.g. NORTON or Symantec, Mcafee, Trend etc)
click apply and close
reboot the computer

You can also try to uninstall the internet security in add>remove programs and see if it will isolate the problem. Anyway, you can install them back in if you need them anytime.

Make sure that the computer name for each computer in workgroup is unique and the workgroup name should be the same. I know you knew this already but double check it, i am a victim of this a lot of times already.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

firewall or INTERNET security can block work group computers in network. Try disabling the firewall from the computer that cannot ping the other computer.

You need to set the fire wall in the computer that can not be seen. (the one you can not ping).
You may also wish to read this article from Microsoft.

lizgold

lizgold

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hey, I'm no expert, but what worked for me (after trying a million other things) was simply rebooting my router....

Good luck!