Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory upgrade and BSOD

• Please log in to reply

PotRoastMan

PotRoastMan

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I just upgraded from 512mb to 2GB RAM (twin 1gb), both old a new memory is Corsair XMS pc3200 with 2-3-3-6 timing.

With the 2 GB installed, I get BSOD within a few minutes of boot-up (in both Vista and XP), regardless of what I'm doing at that moment. The BSOD shows ati2dvag.dll.

If I remove one of the sticks and run with 1 GB, it works fine. So the question is, what the heck does 1gb vs 2gb ram have effect on the ati video drivers? It makes no sense. How do I fix this, other than just being happy with 1gb of ram? I've read all over the internet about ati2dvag problems, but nothing helps so far. I'm confused why a ram upgrade has any effect on this...

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Try bumping the memory voltage up one notch.

You could also try timmings 0f 2.5-3-3-7

Full system specs please?

Sometimes when a board is maxed out or has all its ram slots populated it can cause problems, why this error I am not sure

Edited by Doby, 06 January 2008 - 10:45 PM.

PotRoastMan

PotRoastMan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
My computer is older, I built it myself.

Motherboard is biostar nf325-a7
cpu Sempron 3100+
ram is corsair xms 2 x 1gb
psu is FSP300-60PN-R
video card is radeon 7500

Radeon drivers are not stable, so I am running with Generic VGA driver. But that does not perform as well, and has no power saving capability (so sleep mode is unavailable).

So I am looking for a driver that works with Radeon 7500 that DOES NOT use that stinkin ati2dvag dll file...
Or, if you can recommend a cheap cheap cheap not-radeon, AGP 8x video card that also does Aero and has DVI, i may just replace it.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Try running the latest Catalyst driver for the card

Catalyst driver

Did you try the timings and uping the voltage to the ram?

Remove the old 512mb stick if have not already done so and install the ram in dimm 1&3

PotRoastMan

PotRoastMan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i've tried both the XP and Vista catalyst drivers (using driver cleaner in between), same behavior. I had to force the driver to install becuase the 7500 is no longer listed, but it does install if I unzip & load them manually. The installer doesn't work by itself.

I've also tried voltages & ram timings and also used a memtest86+ and it passes all tests, but no luck.
I have 2 slots, so am using 2x1gb. I did try using 1gb+512 but it only recognizes the first stick.. The other day I was runing with only 1gb and it still BSOD (the first time it's ever done it with 1gb).

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Good idea using driver cleaner I was going to suggest that, this is a known problem all over the net, (google BSOD shows ati2dvag.dll) with no clear cut answer that I know of, some report it as being faulty hardware from bad psu's to faulty ram.

In your case it didn't start till you installed the new ram but the ram passed memtest so I am not sure

PotRoastMan

PotRoastMan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
So how about a video card recommendation.

How is this one?
EVGA GeForce FX 5500 128MB

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
For a cheap, ah I hate that word so lets say low cost solution the FX5500 is OK for a internet or business machine and will work with some older games. It will also run aero but you will have to download the drivers from nvida because I don't think the driver cd that comes with it will support vista, Not a big deal.

I still suspect this is something else though and although FSP (fortron) makes very good psu's will you look on the side of the psu and see what amps it produces on the +12V, this should be listed on a sticker on the side of the psu.

Agp cards requirer 18Amps on the 12V rail so its possible that if yours don't the addition of the extra ram has pushed it to its limits and producing the error. Lets just do a quick check to see if thats possible

PotRoastMan

PotRoastMan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yah, 12V is 15A.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Would it be possible to barrow another psu of at least 400w and amps of at least 18 on the 12V to see if it fixes the problem. I say barrow because I am not positive but leaning toward the psu. As psu's get older they loose some of that power they once produced this coupled with the fact that most AGP cards need 18A minimum on the 12V makes me suspect the psu.

If it were me I would try a psu before another video card and to TBH, I have not used a less than 400w psu since the 90's. Also when looking for psu's if you decide to at least look into one don't get caught up in these $30.00 ones, look at name brands, Antec, FSP/Fotron, enermax,thermaltake to name a few. Check specs make sure they have al least 80% effeciency and active pfc.