Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Processor Affinity

• Please log in to reply

Slikkie

Slikkie

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Good day,

I have an AMD Dual Core 3800+ processor and I play a game called Splinter Cell. In order for me to play it well, I need to set the processor affinity to CPU 0 only. For some reason if both cores work with the game, it lags horribly.

My question is: Is it safe to do this? Doesn't this put a lot of strain on CPU 0 while CPU 1 does absolutely nothing? Can it damage the core?

Thanks,
Slikkie

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
There is a patch from AMD which may solve this problem which does occur on some gaming systems.

Download the Dual-Core Optimizer patch from http://www.amd.com/u...1_13118,00.html and then fire up both cores again and see if this solves the problem.

The fixes in the first post at http://www.hardforum...ad.php?t=983781 might also be of interest.

Slikkie

Slikkie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Thanks for the link. I downloaded the setup and installed. The game runs much better now with both cores working, but yet I can still get a little bit extra performance if I set the affinity to only one core. Is it at all healthy for the single core to have such a work load for hours at a time?

Edited by Slikkie, 07 January 2008 - 04:39 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Makes no difference, or rather dual-core hasn't been out long enough for it to be any of major concern to anybody else.