Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error when I close Internet Explorer

• Please log in to reply

mrdusty007

mrdusty007

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi,

I just started to get this error when I leave the net. A box comes up that says "IEXPLORE.EXE - Application Error" Here is what it says inside the box:

'The exception unknown software exception (0x0eedfade) occurred in the application at location 0x7c812a5b'

Then I can either click OK or Cancel

After that another ERROR box comes up that says:

'Runtime error 217 at 024cfd29' And only gives the option of clicking OK.

Then the net goes down. But it never use to do this, it only started to happen in the last week or 2.

The other thing that is weird, is that when I turn my computer off at night sometimes it will not power off. The blue screen is up that says "Windows is shutting down" but it never shuts down, no matter how long I leave it. There have seen a few times when it did shut off properly, but I don't know why.
Thsi problem also only started in the last week or so.

Thanks,
Sharon

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
When you say "leave the net", do you mean when you close Internet Explorer? If so, try disabling all the addons and see if that helps.

Click on Tools, Manage addons. Disable all of them.
Is the problem fixed? If so, re-enable them one or two at a time till you find the culprit.

As far as not powering down, that is usually caused by some process not responding to the shutdown request. This can often be fixed by installing the

Microsoft User Profile Hive Cleanup service.

You must have a valid, WGA certified copy of XP to use this software.