Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow Initial Disk Access

• Please log in to reply

goldberg96

goldberg96

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have a pretty beefed up computer (custom built by professional company for music work). I have a SATA II (300GB) system drive (connected to VIA RAID chip on motherboard). I have 4 SATA II drives (300GB each) connected to an Adaptec RAID controller (PCI). However, the drives on the Adaptec controller are configured as individual drives, not a RAID array. I also have a 250GB USB external drive.

The problem I have is this. When I first pull up a Windows Explorer window, the first access to a drive is very slow. In other words, I select a drive, click the '+' sign to expand the drive so I can access files, and it takes as long as 10 seconds for the expansion to occur. After that it is usually very fast as I would expect with a system such as mine. This seems to happen regardless of whether I am accessing the system drive, RAID drive, or USB drive. Once everything has been accessed once, it's all very fast. Until I reboot and then it all starts over again.

I will also see this happen when I try to open certain folders on my system drive (i.e. Program Files).

I have 3GB of memory, dual AMD 2.6Ghz processors, and a separate standalone PAGEFILE.SYS drive so it's not just insufficient resources.

I don't remember always having this problem but I can't really pinpoint when it started.

Can anyone tell me where to look to see that might be going on?

Advertisements