Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard Input Problems

• Please log in to reply

nudacris

nudacris

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello,

After making a post in the HijackThis Forums, they helped me and redirected me to this forum. My PC seems to be clear of all malware, so I'm hoping you guys would have some information on my odd problem.

First of all, I made sure the keyboard and mouse weren't faulty. I tested the same keyboard/mouse on a different computer, and they worked perfectly fine. If the mouse is being moved or clicked, keyboard input is completely ignored by the PC. So I have to completely stop moving the mouse in order to type.

I am running Windows XP™ Professional SP2. I've ensured all keyboard/mouse drivers and windows updates were up to date.

Thank you for your time^^

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
USB mouse and keyboard? What make and what software have you installed to support them?

If USB, try using a PS2 version of either, see if that resolves the problem.

nudacris

nudacris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for replying Ztruker,

It's a microsoft wireless keyboard/mouse. Both are currently plugged into the PS2 ports. Switching to USB did not solve the problem. I've been using this keyboard/mouse for well over a year with no problems until recently. First I completely uninstalled Microsoft Intellipoint and Intellitype and tried using the basic windows drivers. Then I uninstalled and reinstalled the windows drivers to no avail. So i reinstalled Intellipoint and Intellitype too.

The keyboard is a Microsoft® Wireless Comfort Keyboard 1.0A and the mouse is a Microsoft® Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0

I've already searched the Microsoft help website and keyboard/mouse website for help on the issue. No luck :) Software is up to date as well.

Thanks.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
How do you type while moving the mouse :) I tried it just to see what would happen and it works fine on my computer, but I have wired PS2 mouse and keyboard.

This has to be s a problem with the wireless support in XP since it fails with or without installing the MS software.

I had no luck finding anything via Google either. The only thing I can suggest is to do a Repair Install. That will leave your data and most programs alone though you will have to reinstall some, like AV and Firewall.

No guarantee that will even fix the problem though but's it's all I can come up with at the moment. Hopefully one of the other folks here has other ideas or even a way to troubleshoot this.

One question just occurred to me. Does this fail the same way in Safe mode?

nudacris

nudacris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yea, the problem still exists even in safe mode.

Thanks for the suggestion with the Repair Install. I'll try it out. I really can't use this PC if this problem persists, especially playing games XD

Thanks Ztruker

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You're welcome. Please post back with how you make out.

nudacris

nudacris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I was getting ready to do the Repair Install, so I was cleaning some stuff up and defrag'ing my hdd. I checked out msconfig and found this:

Posted Image

Is that normal? It loads on startup and I've tried deleting it, but it always reappears after the PC is restarted.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Uncheck it, see what happens. You can also try the following.

How does it behave if you boot to Safe Mode with Networking? If better then something is starting at boot that is causing the problem. Try the following:

First, physically disconnect from the Internet to prevent a malware infection while your Anti-virus and/or Firewall are disabled in the following steps, then do a normal boot:

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab and disable everything (I mean everything).
Do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, click on the Services tab. Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.

Reconnect to the Internet when your AV and firewall are active again.