Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

USB Maxtor external Hard Drives

• Please log in to reply

dabud

dabud

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I am really not sure whether this is a software or hardware problem. I'd post in both places but that might be annoying, so I will let u decide where it should be. Please, Please, Please not in file 13.

usb 2.0 drive scenario

P4 2.4gHz 2GB ram asus P4S533-MX 2 internal maxtor HD CD/DVD Combo Burner Windows XP Pro Sp2/SP3
2 Maxtor External HD [one touch II and one touch III] [Original install under Sp2 extermals worked fine, did not have to install Maxtor software, windows drivers for usb picked externals up just fine]
Both external Hard Drives used for back up storage only.

Clean install of Win XP Pro, after install ran SP3 update pkg.
Plugged usb externals in and got a USB Device not Recognized balloon.
Went to device manager and under Universal Serial Bus Controllers found an Unknown Device [without a ? or ! in Yellow].
Checked Properties of this device and tried to reinstall drivers, said No drivers are required or installed for this device.
Uninstalled device. Rebooted. Same Problem
Checked for updated drivers for mobo - none
Uninstalled and reinstalled usb drivers. No Change.
Did some searching thru help forums to no avail, found people who had problems similar, but all could actually see device,
but could not access it. Device does not show up in My Computer or in Device Manager.
Fired up my older computer and plugged them in and they were recognized right away.
All other usb devices are working on this computer [scanner, printer, mouse, keyboard, etc] except Maxtor external Hard Drives.
Rec'd a reply from Seagate/Maxtor forum that suggested I reinstall USB Controller drivers [which I have] and to install software
for which a link was provided. Downloaded software which turned out to be the one touch software [which I didn't think I needed].
Installed the software, because "you never know" and "I have tried everything else I know and have read, what the heck".
At times when I plugged external in, I have gotten "Windows has found new hardware" , Installing new hardware and Your new hardware is ready to use, followed by USB Device not Recognized balloon. And back to square one.
I am in noway close to being competent, but feel fairly comfortable with my computer. Anything I have not addressed i will be happy to try and let you know if others questions arise that I have not thought to tell you.
Any HELP out there for this problem??
Thank You

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Did you really mean SP3 or was tha a typo and you meant SP2?

If SP3, I would uninstall it and install SP2, see if that resolves the problem.

dabud

dabud

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have since uninstalled it and went back to SP2
my problem still exists
when i plug external [Maxtor One-Touch III] hard drive in i get "Device Not Recognized"
it is still be recognized on my other machine which is running same OS [Win XP SP2]

drtjmich

drtjmich

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have this same problem and I took hard drive to work and it works fine there-just my 2 laptops at home are affected.
The Maxtor hard drive worked fine for several years so I think it has to do with Windows XP SP2 somehow. I also asked this question today so I will be checking around to see who gets the answer first.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Do you have a PS2 mouse and keyboard that you can use in place of the USb ones? If so, power off, remove all USB devices, plug in the PS2 mouse and keyboard and power up. Once the system has stabilized, plug in the Ext HD and see what happens. This is just a diagnostic step, post back with results.

dabud

dabud

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
well I am not sure that this is a MOOT point with me now.
Seems I have developed other troubles, in that my machine is now shutting itself down, usually after 5 or 6 hours operation.
If I try to restart right away, I get a NTLDR is missing error and Windows wont start. Can't see my OS hardrive in bios. If I let machine sit for a bit [hour or so], it boots back into windows but only for the 5 or 6 hours and then shuts down again. So I am guessing: Power Supply or Main Hard drive or Motherboard.

Anyone care to comment?
Thanks

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
PSU or mainboard most likely. Examine the board carefully, see if you see any bulging (not flat on top) capacitors or caps with some black at the top. That's a good indication of impending doom.