Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Beeping noise

• Please log in to reply

x-FoRCe-x

x-FoRCe-x

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
hello... I have my wifes pc with me here in Iraq I just got back yesterday from my 15 day leave from home and I baught a new computer before I left and I went home to discover that her computer was not working... I did not have the time to take it in because I spent all of my time with her and my son... anyways... what the problem is when you try and start the computer ( HP Pavillion DV6000 with Windows XP PRO, AMD Trituron 64x2 Processor [[bleep] I know])... the only thing that the computer does is beep at me everytime I try and start it... all the lights come on and everything but nothing on the monitor will come on and I cannot even here the HD kicking in or anything... I thought that maybe it might be the video card or something like that... but it beep THREE times really loud and then just sits there and does nothing... and all the lights and everything stay on but the screen is just black... this is the only way for me to talk to my wife is on the computer or my mail... so can you please help me and tell me what I need to get done to it and how much it might cost please... thank you!!!!

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

That POST code is typical of a ram problem.

Open the system and reseat the ram modules. Hopefully that should do the trick.

Murray

x-FoRCe-x

x-FoRCe-x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I tried that already cause I thought that it would be either the memory or the video card... and it worked a couple of times and it booted up but I guess she got a virus cause I need to reformat the system but it will not read my cd's when I got it to work... but after booting it up about 3 times or so it just stopped working again and now it is beeping again... I looked online and it said that there are codes for the beeps and mine is making ...... 1 long and 2 short beeps... then it just stops after that... and it said that with that code it is a video problem so I am going to open it later today and take a look at my video card... is there anything that I need to know before I open the laptop up?? so that way I do not mess anything up even more.... thanks for all of your help I really appreciate it

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Well, most laptops have the vid card built into the motherboard so opening the system won't do you any good.

How old is the system and what happens when you try to boot using your cd?

Is the first boot device in BIOS (setup) set to the cd drive?

Murray

x-FoRCe-x

x-FoRCe-x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
yes it is and I disabled all of the other boot options... the system I baught refurbished about 6 months ago... but when I try and go to the boot options to boot it from the CD when I can get the screen to come on and the beep to stop it does not give me the option for the CD drive... so if I open the computer I can't take the video card out and dust it off or anything like that or make sure that it is connected or anything??

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

so if I open the computer I can't take the video card out and dust it off or anything like that or make sure that it is connected or anything??

Nope.. How old is the system and did it come with XP or did you install that after?

Murray