Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Shared Documents Problem.....Please Help!

• Please log in to reply

notquiteanexpert

notquiteanexpert

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi,

I have a networking problem that I'm hoping someone can help me with. I think it is quite easy, but I just don't know what to do.

I live at a motel (my wife is the on-site manager). Her work PC (call it PC1) is plugged into the wall, which gives it access to shared documents (from the other office PCs) and internet access.

There is no port in the wall for my PC (call it PC2) to plug into, so we have a wireless router that we plug in between PC1 and the wall, of which PC2 then gets internet access.

The problem is that when we have this router between the wall (LAN) and PC1, PC1 loses access to shared docs, but still has internet access.

Basically my question is how do I maintain access to shared docs on PC1 to the other work PCs.

Hopefully this makes sense. If not, I've tried to show a "diagram" below.

Situation 1: Without Router

WALL (LAN) ----PLUGS INTO-----> PC1

In this situation, PC1 has access to shared docs & internet

Situation 2: With Router

WALL(LAN) -----PLUGS INTO-----> WIRELESS ROUTER --------> PC1
In this situation, PC1 has NO access to shared docs, but still has internet access.

Can anyone help at all please?? Please explain like I don't know a lot about networking!

Thanks!

Advertisements

hidyjane

hidyjane

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi
I am assuming your PC1 connected to the "Wall-LAN" is actually connected to your wireless router too?

Not 100% but try running your "Set up a Home or Small Office Network Wizard" found in your - Control Panel - Network Connections.

This option lets your computer decide if it wants to keep your files and printers hidden from other "network" users.

After you have done this on both computers and rebooted a couple of times, you should be able to see the shared folders.

If you want to share additional folders you just right click on the folder you want to share and select "Properties" then "Sharing"

Hope this Helps
Hidyjane

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
notquiteanexpert, it sounds like PC1 is setup to access the local file shares there in the hotel. Since you placed the router there, it has cut off that acces because it's acting as a firewall and router. Without getting into any kind of funky routes and such, the easiest thing for you to do is go buy yourself a switch. Something like this will work fine: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16833166006

You will also need a cat5 cross over cable to go from the wall to one of the ports on the switch. See this: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16812117807

Then just plug the other two PC's up to the switch and she should be able to access the files, and you should have your internet access :)