Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble formatting cd-rw discs

• Please log in to reply

BREAGHBOO

BREAGHBOO

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,
Can anyone please help me with the following (I hope I have posted this in the correct place), I am having problems formating cd-rw discs, when I try this I get the following message (FORMAT FAILED DUE TO MEDIA DAMAGE). Not being very good with computers I would really appreciate assistance. Thanks and happy new year.
Breaghboo

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
XP does not support CD-RW directly, other than as CDR, so has no format capability for CD-RW. You need to install CD burner software that has packet writing support, like Roxio Drag To Disc or Nero InCD.

I think this software is buggy and causes problems so stay away from them but some folks swear by (or at :) ) it.

BREAGHBOO

BREAGHBOO

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks rich, I have checked and my computer had software sonic dla 4.5 ( it came with the computer), I thought this was the problem and found an update sonic dla 4.95, I swaped this over but still get the same message, format failed due to media damage. Trouble is I had previously been able to format cd-rw's with the sonic dla 4.5 software. I am wondering if I have botched up and removed something I shouldn't have, any ideas?.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I wonder if this is caused by a windows Update? Try completely uninstalling Sonic and reinstalling it (if you can). If not, I would suggest contacting Sonic to see if they can help. Start here: http://support.sonic.com/.

Post back if they don't (or won't) help and I'll try to help.

BREAGHBOO

BREAGHBOO

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks rich, I have taken your advice and sent an e mail to sonic, I will see if they respond. If not I will take you up on your kind offer, watch this space. Breaghboo

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
have you tried to just write to the RW cd's yet... without formatting first...
can you burn to CD-R disks...

BREAGHBOO

BREAGHBOO

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, I can write to previously formatted cd-rw discs, just can format new ones!.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Windows XP does have a problem recognizing certain manufacturers CDRW media...try a different brand..
also XP does have a problem recognizing certain manufacturers CDRW drives and if you check the manufacturer of the drive you may well find an updated driver for it so that you can use the drive properly...
nojoy ...look here and see if this can help you...

Edited by happyrck, 11 January 2008 - 09:42 AM.

BREAGHBOO

BREAGHBOO

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi happyrck, I have the same box of cd-rw that I previously had take discs from that worked, so I dont think that is the problem, also I had updated from sonic dla 4.5 to 4.95 that didn't help , also followed your link and that has not brought any joy either. Thanks for the suggestions but still have the same problem.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try using the device manager to uninstall the cd drive completely...reboot and let windows find the "new hardware" and it will reinstall the necessary drivers for it ...

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Read through the posts here. http://forums.techgu...ware-other.html Sounds like Ashampoo may be for you. Not free but has a free trial.

Pay heed to the warnings though, Packet writing is not the best method of backing up data. It is much more subject to loss of data than standard CDRs. You'd be better off to use a 1 or 2GB flash drive for temporary stuff and CDR or DVDR for permanent storage.