Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

A disk read error occurred

• Please log in to reply

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
My computer was happily turned on just running iTunes, zMud and msn while I was playing my PS2 (one step away from my PC). I decided to go back to using my PC (Had done something one it every 15-ish minutes while playing). I was using it for a few minutes when it all of a sudden restarted. I straight away got up and opened the side of my case (before it had even tried to boot yet) as this was exactly what was happened when my Video Card had been overheating.

I got the side off and felt the temperature of my video card, and it was rather hot, but it's been hotter and not crashed (Wasn't even doing anything demanding of the vid card.)

This was about when I noticed that my computer hadn't booted. When I got around to the monitor it said

A disk read error has occurred
Press ctrl+alt+del to restart

So I tried doing what it said, hoping it might just have been telling me why it had crashed, not going to be a real problem. But it just happened again. So I tried checking my HDD, all the cables were in perfectly fine. I even unplugged my dvd and floppy drives to make sure it wasn't not getting enough power or something.

I even totally unplugged my HDD to see if I would get a similar message (No, just told me to put a boot disk in or something).

Does this mean either my HDD is like fried, or that I got some sort of virus on it that wrecked it (Not sure how this would happen, I don't download anything pretty much).

Blegh. First crash for this year. My new Antec 900 case is due this week some time, and I really want it up and running for that!

EDIT: To check if it might be some sort of motherboard or cable problem, I plugged in an old HDD and it booted up perfectly fine off of that. So it seems to be a problem with my HDD.

My HDD is a Samsung 200gb. I'm not sure what model exactly, but from memory i think it's like SP2014N or something.

Futher EDIT: It is recognising my HDD, as on bootup it says:
IDE Channel 0 Master : SAMSUN SP2014N VC-100-41
IDE Channel 0 Slave : None
IDE Channel 1 Master : ASUS DRW-1608P3S 1.24
IDE Channel 1 Slave : None

Edited by Seltox, 07 January 2008 - 10:51 AM.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks To Go. Would you please make sure that all of your; flash drives, mp3 players, or any other usb storage device is not pluged in. check that you do not have a DVD, cd, or floppy in. Now try to start and please note the exact error messege that you get. Do you have a valid Operating system disc? (XP, Vista) If so we may be able to use recovery console to repair your windows. (if your hard drive is fine) You did not say if you heard a clicking noise?

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I just plugged my HDD into my parents computer (what i'm using to post) and Booted from their HDD. It recognized my drive in My Computer, but when I right clicked, went to properties, it said there was 0bytes of space or anything. When I tried to open it, it came up with a message saying something like "Cannot access disk". that type of thing.

Seems to be like I have some physical problem.

Still want me to go try unplugging dvd and booting? and that was the exact message I was getting.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
At this point I would recommend that you install a new hard drive and use your recovery disk to reinstall windows.

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I so can't afford to buy a new HDD right now. This sucks so bad.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
I am sorry. From what you have told me it does seam as your hard drive is non operative. You may consider buying a small hard drive to get up and running and then when you can afford it buying a larger drive (uou can partition 2 drives to be 1 logical drive)

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
*sighs* there goes my 6 days of music.

How much of a benefit does SATA give over PATA?

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
If you bought the music hopefuly you can retrive it with out paying for it again.
I have found that the SATA drive I am using now is faster than my old PATA drive. the old drive is 80 GB and the new SATA is 250GB. I saw a big difference when I installed VISTA but the choice is yours.

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
How does a HDD actually physically die like this, in under a year? Could it have been the heat?

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
My parents are going to buy a new laptop for themselves, and let me have the 200gb SATA hdd from their desktop (yay). I don't want to have to go through all the trouble of installing the OS again and getting SP2 on it and all of that junk, but I need to get rid of all of their settings and set it up to my liking.

Does XP Professional (SP2) have some sort of thing I can do to revert it back to a state where it has just been installed? (uninstalled and removing programs already on the computer and such)

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I just plugged my HDD back into my computer, and started up with a Windows 98 SE disc (the only windows install CD I have in my posession currently).

I want to see if it would format my drive, based on the idea that if it couldn't, the drive was simply broken.

When I got into the setup, it said there was a non-ms-dos OS installed on my computer. Odd?

So I got out of setup and checked fdisk, my NTFS partition was still there, and displayed as the full capacity, but when I put the drive into my parents computer and booted from their HDD, I was not able to access the files on MY HDD.

This help anyones ideas of what's going on?

Edited by Seltox, 08 January 2008 - 10:12 PM.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Good morning, I am sorry but XP will not allow you to take a hard drive from one machine and put it in another. When XP is installed it looks at the hardware and creates a unique number based on the hardware that is in the machine (and XP itself). so when you swap hard drives you will have to reinstall XP from scratch. If both computers are exactly the same you may get away with out having to do this, in that case do a system restore from the earlyest point that you can.

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I'd plugged my HDD into my parents and gained direct access to it once before when I got corrupted system files. But since then our OS' have differed. Theirs now has SP2, whereas mine didn't have an OS.

I just went ahead and tried to format my drive, and amazingly it worked, and windows 98 install started up.

I didn't install it though, because I lost my product key for it. I'm sure it's written down somewhere, but I just can't find it anymore. Seems to indicate that this could have been a software problem, but this is the 4th crash i've had where I had to format my drive in the last year. I think the drive itself is really bad quality. Gonna still steal my parents SATA drive.

Edited by Seltox, 09 January 2008 - 09:33 AM.