Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows crack / Freeze playing COD 4

• Please log in to reply

dpham

dpham

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I build a PC for gamer and here is what I have:

Motherboard: Asus P5B – SE
CPU: Duo Core E6850
Ram: 4 GB
Graphic Card: XFX 8800GT then Radeo X1650
Power Supply: 680 W then 550 W
Running Windows XP
Test Game Call of Duty 2 and Call of Duty 4

First, when I use the XFX 8800, the PC seems to be alright at first. Then I install game and play it (testing both games), the PC becomes every unstable; Crash / Reboot itself and if I turn OFF the Automatic Reboot, the windows crash with blue screen and I have the message as IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL … Then I start having this problem even without playing game… (I install the game to my laptop and playing just fine without any problem for both games)

I swap the graphic card to Radeo X1650 and also the Power Supply Unit. Reinstall the windows and just the games… I can be able to play COD 2 without any windows disturbed. However, when I play COD 4, the game Crash and Freeze… and also the PC reboot itself. I did not turn of the auto reboot this time.

I have been doing research and people are talking about OVERCLOCKING and SPEED UP the Fan… I am not familiar with this subject so I am wonder if anyone can help me on this problem:

1. Have any one seen a similar problem and find out the solution?
2. Should I overclocking and Speed up the Fan? I am not sure how hot is too hot for the CPU and Graphic Card. And will it give my PC even more unstable?
3. How do I test my Asus P5B SE if my Mother board having any defect problem?

Edited by dpham, 07 January 2008 - 03:46 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello dpham...

Try running on 2 gigs of RAM. If you can, run with modules installed only in the colored slots. Unless you have a 64 bit operating system installed, 4 gigs of RAM can cause stability problems such as you describe.

wannabe1

dpham

dpham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Hello dpham...

Try running on 2 gigs of RAM. If you can, run with modules installed only in the colored slots. Unless you have a 64 bit operating system installed, 4 gigs of RAM can cause stability problems such as you describe.

wannabe1

I reduce to 2 GB and and test to other game... and still having problem...

My main question should be How to fix the crash / reboot problem when I play games. I test some old game like COD 2 and new game like Crysis and COD 4... I install the game on my laptop and it is working fine...

Please help.