Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE wont close it's process after browser window closed

• Please log in to reply

imagingconcepts

imagingconcepts

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Greetings and thanks in advance for any assistance,

I'm trying to help out a friend who is having a problem with his work computer using IE 6 with Windows 2000. He says his computer has been slowing down through out the day to the point is finally just freezes, I noticed that after he was using IE to browse the internet and closing the window and look at the processes in the Windows Task Manager, not only is a process still running for each window he had open, but they're still using a bunch of memory.
Once I close them via Task Manager his computer releases the resources and starts working fine, until the problem repeats over the day.

I've scanned for viruses and spy ware and it’s supposedly clean.

Anyone have a solution or a direction to head?

Many Thanks.
JDP

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
how is he doing on disk space? Does he reboot his pc regularly?

imagingconcepts

imagingconcepts

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you Starjax for getting back to me,

Actually I did check his available hard drive space and discovered that he is about 1 gig from being full. I almost had to laugh his machine is pretty old and has a whopping 9gig hard drive. I went through and cleaned as much old stuff out as I could, I also have a sneaky suspicion that because of all the IE windows running in the background his Temp Internet folder are filling up faster than normal.

Thanks for your help
JDP

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I would agree.

I have to say that it is probably time for him to get a new system. His system is old enough that getting parts that would work for it would be hard. I doubt it would support the more modern hard drives.