Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't create a "zip" folder

• Please log in to reply

Stickly

Stickly

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
today i relized that i cannot make a zip (compressed) folder anymore. usually right-clicking on the desktop and going to New, there is a zip folder choice. it's not there anymore. i think it's because i had previously had a program called WinAce installed. it was only a trial version and i only needed it for one file, so i uninstalled it. how can i get the option to create a zip folder back? i use them quite often.

stickly

Edited by Stickly, 07 January 2008 - 04:06 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
highlight the files you want to zip, right click one of them, then go to "send to" in the menu that shows up...you should see "compressed (zip) folder" in the list

alternately you could download 7-zip which is 100% free and awesome...this will put the ability to zip with 7zip back into the root of the context menu (the right click thingie)

Stickly

Stickly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
crap.... sorry for not responding sooner. i could've sworn i had it set to email me when someone replied.

thanks so much! that program did exactly what it was supposed to. :) thank you thank you thank you.

edit: hm... it works when i right click the file itself, but what i was hoping for was right-clicking on the desktop, or whatever, and then New- Compressed (Zipped) folder. that is still gone. i can deal with what i've got, but i'd really like to get it back to how it used to be. thanks

Edited by Stickly, 18 January 2008 - 02:02 PM.

DIANE O

DIANE O

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have the same problem when trying to zip files in a document folder. Used to be able to highlight the files, right click, highlight one of the files, select Send To, and the option of Compressed (zipped) Folder and it would just create the zipped file. Now I get an error message that says 'Unable to complete the operation. Access denied'. The files are not Read Only. Any idea why this doesn't work anymore? I am using Windows 7 - Office 10. the files are PDF files.