Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange Block-like Text Cursor

• Please log in to reply

bigjimthechief

bigjimthechief

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a strange thing happening to my text cursor. Instead of a line (which would be normal), whenever I am entering text, my cursor is a big black almost square box. It is similar to what computers used to do in the old days when you pushed the "insert" key. I've tried pushing the "insert" key, but to no avail.

I suspect some sort of spy-ware or mal-ware. But it seems to be a strange symptom. The worst trouble is that I can't be sure where my cursor is when editing because the block takes up several letters at a time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jimbo

P.S. The square block cursor shows up in most text entering places (i.e. address bar, google box, notepad) but not in MS Word. In Word the cursor is a normal black line. Hmmms...

Edited by bigjimthechief, 07 January 2008 - 05:37 PM.

Advertisements

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
You might have a malware problem. Thus, it is recommended to select Malware Removal Forum from my signature, go to the topic 'You Must Read This Before Posting A HijackThis Log'. If the steps there do not work, then please follow the instructions in Step 5.

~Kelvin

bigjimthechief

bigjimthechief

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks Kelvin. I followed the "read this" post, but made no progress. I followed steps 5 and 6 and posted my scans in a new post under the MALWARE forum.

Thanks,
Jimbo

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
No problems. A staff member will review your log shortly. If the problem still persists, post back in this topic.

~Kelvin

bigjimthechief

bigjimthechief

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have followed the steps suggested in "the must read this" post. I posted the results in the malware forum, but have yet to receive a response. Does any one have a clue what's going on with my computer?

Below are HighJackThis and Activescan results

removed

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jimbo

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Unfortunately Kelvin is not yet qualified to assist you with HJT log issues. Since he has already begun helping you here, I will leave this thread open, however any Malware Removal assistance will be handled in the Malware Removal forum so that you can be assisted by one of our trained Malware Removal staff.

Walter Prager

Walter Prager

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Check "Accessibility Options" in Control Panel. Under the Display tab, check if the cursor width setting.

djmuk

djmuk

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Walter fixed it for me!!

Weird one...

rvan07

rvan07

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Easily change width of text cursor in XP.
Start, Control panel, Accessibility Options, Display. You should see a blinking text cursor in the Cursor Options area. Here you are able to set it's speed and width by moving the slider. Click Apply, OK.
Your done!