Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Vista 100% cpu usage. cant do any thing

• Please log in to reply

sam86

sam86

• Pip
  • 4 posts
i have windows vista business edition running for quite some time and it was all ok. then all of a sudden a week or so ago the pc started to hang up while playing the streaming videos and now i cant even browse or listen to an MP3. have checked the malware section but dont know what to do.

the systems is 1.67dual core with 1GB ram. iknow its low but the system was working fine a while ago.
would really appreciate ur help. thanks

Advertisements

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
From my experience, Vista needs about 1GB of RAM to simply idle. So in other words, you have no RAM left to do anything efficiently, especially videos.

Do a control/alt/delete Run the Task Manager and go to Process and see if you can find a process that is hogging up all of your cpu. *Note: system idle will probably be using around 98%, thats normal)

I am just wondering if whatever program you used with the videos is loading on startup or something.

sam86

sam86

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i dont think that this is a Ram issue. as i have been using the pc with the same configuration for last 8 months or so. it was quite fast and didnt have any problems with any application at all.

in tasks manager the the process whick takes most of CPU resorces is Svchost.exe and there are some other system processes like trusted installer etc. i have done a complete system scan with spy bot S&D and AVg. and dindnt find any thing al all.

the system would work fine in safe mode with networking.

sam86

sam86

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
come on guys some body help me please

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
Well, we don't have a lot of information to work with. Try posting as much as you can about your system and the programs you run at start up, etc..

In safe mode your system runs much less at start up, which also means your RAM is not as congested as it would be under normal start up.

If you added some more software and got your problem after that, I am still going to suggest upgrading RAM.
I am not saying there isn't any other problem, just that Vista does require quite a bit of RAM simply to idle.

Download Everest once and see what it tells you about your system memory. It might help you figure some things out.

Mark K

Mark K

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I think you will find this is the TrustedInstaller.exe process that is slowing your computer down. I also have a laptop with Vista Business installed, and the laptop crawls along even with 2gb ram. I searched the web for abit to find out if there were any known problems, and found the windows update on Vista constantly runs in the background for the first half hour or so after booting up checking for updates. This can be turned off, but updating windows will fail or not happen at all.

If you stop the process TrustedInstaller.exe does your PC speed back up?

sam86

sam86

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
there are 2 processes which are taking up all the resources. svchost.exe and yeah mark u r right its trustedinstaller.exe.
now i have upgarded the RAM and recovered the windows from the dvd provided with the laptop but strangley enough the problem is still there. although system is a bit fatser than it was before. but i the problem with video still exist. i cannot play any streaming videos or even dvds full screen on my system. with in a couple of minutes or so cpu shots to 100% even with 40% Ram available and brings the whole system to a hault.

i have also up-dated the bios but no difference at all. do u have ne idea?