Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Keeps Restarting

• Please log in to reply

b_mulo

b_mulo

• Pip
  • 5 posts
heya,

After my computer has been on for about 1/2 to 1 hour it resets with no warning. Upon restart there is no error report and then after that it resets again within the first 10 minutes. Upon restart i check the CPU temp and it is roughly 60-65 degrees C. I have reinstalled windows once to try and see if it was a software error. The installation was succesful but the windows CD was unable to copy over all of the files. Reinstallation has not fixed the problem.

My only real theory as to the problem would be the CPU temperature. If i got a more powerful CPU fan would it fix the problem? or is it too little too late and the processor is already on the way out? What are the chances a complete reformat will fix my problem?

Please help

- Ben

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
In safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now reboot. This should result in the BSOD error...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The temperature that you mention is very high and should be lowered by making sure that all the fans are working (including the one inside the power supply unit) and the heatsink and air inlets (including into the psu) are clean of dust accumuluation.

However, I doubt if this is the source of the problem because cpu that is overheating turns off the computer. Check in your BIOS if the cpu is set to turn off the computer and at what temperature. Set it to 75 degrees C.

You mention unsuccessful installation. This could easilly cause the problem. Reformat should solve this. Before you do that, however, run a memory scan. Use the link in my signature to download Microsoft's Memory Diagnostic tool. Make a bootable cd and boot the computer with the cd in the drive. Run the test at least for an hour and see if there are any errors.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
a complete list of your system specs will also help us...

b_mulo

b_mulo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Heya guys

Dsenette: Upon disabling automatic restart and rebooting no BSOD error occured. Am i supposed to wait until the computer would normally crash?

The Skeptic: I am currently doing everything you listed. I will keep you posted on my progress. I am also going to buy a better CPU fan i think

Happyrck: here are the system specs as requested:

Asus P5B-Deluxe 775, CORE2EE, P965, 1066FSB, PCIEI6
Intel Socket 775 Pentium D 925 3.0Ghz 800 FSB 2x2MB Cache Dual Core
DDR2 2048MB (2x1G) 5300 667Mhz Mushkin
Western Digital 250G SATAII 7200 rpm HDD(16Mb Cache)
I am running XP

Thanks,

Ben

b_mulo

b_mulo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Heya,

Okay, now a little after the computer restart the a blue screen appeared with the following information

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Technical Information: 0x0000000A (079967A008, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x8055229EB)

So I hope that helps

b_mulo

b_mulo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
To Skeptic,

Within 30 minutes all tests were failed. While i can assume that i need new RAM, please advise.

cheers,

Ben

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Yes, you need new ram. Since you have two modules it's safe to assunme that only one is damaged. Run the memory test again with only one of the modules inserted. After that test the other module seperately. This will allow you to find which module is damaged and to replace it.

b_mulo

b_mulo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
heya The Skeptic

Thanks that worked a real charm, I just removed the faulty module and it worked great. I am also going to be getting a new CPU fan

thanks again

Ben

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know.