Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Partitions and unpartitioned space

• Please log in to reply

amusinglisa

amusinglisa

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I got through the first two screens of the "How to Repair Windows XP" here
but the third screen says:

C: Partition1 [Unknown] 76309 MB < 76308 MB free >
Unpartitioned space 8 MB

I have the options: ENTER = Install D=Delete F3=Quit

I read in the guide that if I use Install I loose all the data in that partition, so I tried Delete. That tells me that the partition I tried to delete is a system partition and that it may contain diagnostic or hardware donfiguration programs, programs to start operating systems (such as Windows XP), or other manufacturer suppllied programs.

I would not be thrilled about loosing everything in that Partition1, I can live without the Unpartitioned space stuff, one way or another (though I have no idea what is in there or why)...

:) :)

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You can read in the same guide that if a partition is corrupted the repair option will not be available. It looks as if the partition tables are corrupted. Could you tell us what is the problem with the computer and what have you tried so far, so that we may find other means to help you.

amusinglisa

amusinglisa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
i posted this in the malware section (before I got a read through several posts on the same topic (notably this one ):

After asking windows to restart, I am getting the black screen for start up in safe or normal mode. If I choose normal mode, it looks like its trying to restart (but I swear I can hear it laughing at me) and then gives me the nanosecondblue screen of death before beginning the whole process over again. If I try to "Start in Safe Mode" I get a list of multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ things (always the same endings in the same order, FWIW):
PCIIDEX.SYS
intelide.sys
vialide.sys
...and about twenty more

that stays uip for about thirty seconds, then I get the blue screen again. I can't get what that one says before the whole thing starts over again.

I got out my CD, since none of the "safe mode" or "last good configuration" options was working.

I am running XP pro on an HP compaq Vasario that was originally loaded with XP HOme.

"the last thing I remember before the lights went out" is that: 1) I uploaded Netflicks viewing software and a Windows Media player upgrade and 2) I plugged in my PDA phone to sync and the machine took it for new hardware...

Edited by amusinglisa, 08 January 2008 - 04:12 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Let's wait and see what the people of the malware forum has to say. If the problem persists, please run the present topic again.

amusinglisa

amusinglisa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Malware closed the topic.

Should I just start a new topic here?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You mentioned that you have your operating system preloaded on the computer. Was it in a hidden partition? If yes, have look at this link and perform nondestructive repair of the operating system.

The bottom line is that I think that your system is so corrupted that the minimum would be a undestructive recovery which equals to windows repair. If this is impossible then I would recommend reformat and clean install. You can save your data to another storage device in one of the following ways:

1: Take out the hard disk from your computer and install it as slave on another computer. Copy the files from the faulty disk and paste to another disk.

2: Download Puppy Linux from the link in my signature, follow the instructions and create a bootable CD. Boot with the Linux in the CD drive and use it to backup your data.

Edited by The Skeptic, 09 January 2008 - 11:36 AM.

amusinglisa

amusinglisa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

You mentioned that you have your operating system preloaded on the computer. Was it in a hidden partition? If yes, have look at this link and perform nondestructive repair of the operating system.

The bottom line is that I think that your system is so corrupted that the minimum would be a undestructive recovery which equals to windows repair. If this is impossible then I would recommend reformat and clean install. You can save your data to another storage device in one of the following ways:

1: Take out the hard disk from your computer and install it as slave on another computer. Copy the files from the faulty disk and paste to another disk.

2: Download Puppy Linux from the link in my signature, follow the instructions and create a bootable CD. Boot with the Linux in the CD drive and use it to backup your data.

Since I cannot get beyond the [non-functional] "safe mode" screen/"blue screen of death" cycle, it looks like I am going to be learning something about what a hard disk looks like and how to remove it. I will search the archives, but would greatly appreciate any pointers or tutorials anyone can give me. I am a luddite masquerading as someone who can barely type...

...evidently reading is also an issue. grabbing a CD to try option 2 now. Thanks.

Edited by amusinglisa, 09 January 2008 - 03:02 PM.

amusinglisa

amusinglisa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Skeptic, should I be downloading Puppy Live 3.1 retro? I am guessing that is the one.

Thanks

amusinglisa

amusinglisa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I have successfully booted up on Puppy Linux. Sadly, I cannot find the c: drive to back it up (I have an external hard drive ready to go). Any help would be more than greatly appreciated.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello amusinglisa...

Let's see if we can get a parallel installation on there. As with a repair installation, you will need your XP installation cd and a valid product key.

Boot to the Windows XP installation cd by pressing a key when the "Press any key to boot from cd" prompt appears at the top of the screen.
  • At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press Enter to set up Windows XP.
  • Accept the License Agreement by pressing F8
  • With your current installation selected in the box, press Esc
  • Select C: Partition1 [NTFS] in the box and press Enter
  • To continue setup using this partition, press C
  • Now you should see formatting options...choose the last one, Leave the current file system intact (no changes), and press Enter
  • To use a different folder, press Esc
  • Name the folder WINDOWS0 (just type a 0 (zero)) and press Enter
The Windows installation should begin. This will install Windows to a new folder, leaving your data intact. Any programs installed on the old directory will have to be reinstalled to the new one. Device drivers will also have to be installed for all the hardware to work as it should.

The data will be located in the Documents and Settings folder (C:\Documents and Settings) under your old user account name...so when you set up the new installation, give yourself a slightly different user account name.

Let me know if you run into any variations from my instructions.

wannabe1

Advertisements

amusinglisa

amusinglisa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

>>>>[*]With your current installation selected in the box, press Esc
}}}}[*]Select C: Partition1 [NTFS] in the box and press Enter
<snip>
Let me know if you run into any variations from my instructions.

wannabe1

>>>>I did not get a box with my current installation
}}}} the box that comes up after F8 has Partition1 [Unknown] and if I hit "Enter" on that it offers to format the partition using the NTFS file system (either Quick or -- slow, I suppose). That doesn't sound right at all.

'The partition is either too full, damaged, not formatted or formatted with an incompatible file system. To continue installing Windows, Setup must format this partition.'

amusinglisa

amusinglisa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Meanwhile, Skeptic, I am able to bootup with the Puppy Linux and if Ido that with the harddrive plugged into the port, I get the option in utilities to back up, but I can't find the C: drive to back up.

edited to say that it might be that I don't recognize the C: drive to back it up.

Edited by amusinglisa, 10 January 2008 - 12:05 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Lisa,

Let's go back a little bit.

1: Can you perform the Nondestructive restore that I asked you about before?

2: Do you have another computer on which to rig the damaged disk as slave?

If the answer to both questions is negative: Run windows Setup and enter Recovery Console. Press 1 when asked for windows installation and type the administrator password, if there is any, or press Enter. At the prompt type chkdsk /r and let the process run to the end. Please report the results.

dipak_helpdesk

dipak_helpdesk

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,

Since after booting with XP CD it is not able to read partition / hard disc, it appears either NTFS is corrupted or could be some problem with hard drive.

Boot through a DOS disk (floppy or CD) and use FDISK to view partition. (Since XP bootable is showing parition as unknown). Then delete all the partitions and use XP bootable CD to install operating system.

If anything specific you need to know pls. confirm.

Thanks,

Dipak

amusinglisa

amusinglisa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Skeptic,

That nondestructive restore seems to require that you can start up Windows. I can't get into HP Tools , and then HP PC System Recovery ,Hewlett-Packard , hp pavilion pc tools , and hp pc system recovery , or
PC Help & Tools , and then HP PC System Recovery . I can't see another way to get into the recovery from Linux or the messed up balck screen/blue screen cycle.

If there is a way to get to the recovery console from the CD, I could do that. Is there a tutorial on it?

I do have another computer (or 5 - I am the widow of an extreem geek) for the hard disk. I would need a resource for instructions on what the hard disk looks like (I am guessing we are talking about something other than the memory cards I popped in there when I got the machine) and how to get into another machine.