Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Access Issue

• Please log in to reply

goldberg96

goldberg96

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi all. I have just finished several days of working with rorschach112 in another of the forums on this problem. He suggested that I post the problem here since he says it isn't a malware problem. Here is the problem:

I boot up the computer. My internet access works fine. Then suddenly and ramdomly, I lose the ability to access web sites. Other computers attached to the same router have no problem. If I reboot, generally it will fix the problem. Sometimes it takes more than one reboot. Even while my main computer is having the problem, other computers attached to the same router, have no problem.

When the problem occurs, I can ping both IP addresses and websites (so I don't think it's DNS related).

I can not figure it out. It drives me crazy because it will just happen suddenly in the middle of the browser session. Then I have to reboot which takes time. I work from home on this computer and can't afford to be rebooting once or twice a day to resolve this.

I need help. All advice will be greatly appreciated.

Rob

Edited by goldberg96, 08 January 2008 - 02:02 AM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: Download Winsock from the link in my signature. Install it.
2: Reinstall your Lan or wiresless card driver, whichever you use.

goldberg96

goldberg96

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I've already run the Winsock fix many times. Since it requires a reboot I don't know if the fix did the job or the reboot. I think it's the reboot because most times I can just reboot and do nothing else and it comes back. I have already loaded the latest drivers for my NIC (integrated into motherboard).

I spoke with someone who suggested that I am getting attacked through the router because there are a couple of ports I have forwarded in order to support some peer-to-peer connections (not for anything bootleg - I wouldn't load any bootleg software on this machine - this is a $6k computer). Since I don't use the programs that I have port forwarding turned on for very often, I have turned off Port Forwarding on my router and I guess I will now have to wait and see if the problem occurs.

I turned on input and output logging in my router and lo and behold I did see quite a few attempts to contact my computer through the previously forwarded port. I am hopeful that perhaps this is the problem. If so, the fix is easy; just keep port forwarding off except in cases where I absolutely need it.

If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know. I don't know yet if this has been resolved or not since I can't recreate the problem at will.