Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

FIRST COMPUTER BUILD

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Since the tuniq doesn't seem to be in stock I suggest the following.
http://www.ncix.com/...re=THERMALRIGHT
http://www.ncix.com/...l...1&sku=17749
James

Advertisements

Seige07

Seige07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
the q6600 is stock 2.4ghz. what could i safetly OC that to with that heatsink you have gave me. and would i really notice that much of a difference between 2.4 ghz and 3.0 or 3.2 ghz? Should i buy 2 of those fans for the heatsink and 2 for my case?

and would you suggest http://www.ncix.com/...mp;promoid=1001 over the ram that i already have? 4 1gb sticks instead of 2 2gb sticks since i am going with the 32 bit vista not 64.

Edited by Seige07, 20 January 2008 - 04:57 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If I were you, I'd personally only get 2GB of RAM as few people will ever need an excess of that amount at this time. The RAM you have selected is very good RAM, I have it myself.

With that cooler, depending on your CPU, you should be able to get from 3.4-3.8GHz (some chips overclock better then others).

Depending on what you do with your computer, yes you will notice a difference between 2.4GHz and 3.2GHz. If you only do every day office applications, then no you won't notice it, if you game and/or edit photo's/video you will notice a large difference.

Only buy one of those fans for the heatsink, two don't seem to make much of a difference. You don't need any fans for your case, the case comes with.

James

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
ZeroTherm has recently released a new cooler that Anand Tech showed to have similar performance to the Thermalright Ultra 120. It will save you a bit of money but will require you bought it from a different site because it doesn't look like NCIX is carrying them yet. Here it is: ZEROtherm Nirvana.

Just throwing it out there.

Edited by Titan8990, 20 January 2008 - 02:00 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If you want a quite computer I wouldn't suggest that cooler, though it has slightly worse performance on low fan speed, but even louder a little louder, not much to grown about.
It's something to think about and your call.
James

Edited by james_8970, 21 January 2008 - 09:51 AM.

Seige07

Seige07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
well im tryin to save a little money so i can get this computer quicker. i have just decided on that 2gb of that OCZ ram i listed before and i have taken off the CPU heatsink. i dont plan on overclocking right away so would that be fine to not have that heatsink or is that a must?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
You will need a heatsink, is the processor you're purchasing Retail or OEM? A retail item comes with a heatsink/fan included, an OEM version will not. If it's OEM, you will need to purchase a heatsink/fan and some thermal paste for it. I would just grab it anyway :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

well im tryin to save a little money so i can get this computer quicker. i have just decided on that 2gb of that OCZ ram i listed before and i have taken off the CPU heatsink. i dont plan on overclocking right away so would that be fine to not have that heatsink or is that a must?

This will be fine as long as you don't overclock.
James

Edited by james_8970, 21 January 2008 - 09:55 AM.

Seige07

Seige07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Quad Core Processor LGA775 Kentsfield 2.40GHZ 1066FSB 8MB Retail Box. thats what im getting. so i guess it will work without buyin a heatsink and fan. and i just wanna get this computer quicker. i would be without a good one for a week or 2 tops so i think the comp can survive till then without it.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Why not just order it all together?
Let clarify something, you need to install the stock heatsink as a minimum, a aftermarket cooler is much better though if you plan on overclocking.
James

Advertisements

Seige07

Seige07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
well i dont plan on overclocking right away and this would save a little bit of money. this is a MAJOR upgrade over my computer now so im sure i will be more then happy about this build when i get it. i would only be waiting 1-2 weeks for this other heatsink and possibly more ram. and im not sure how to put the computer together so i will be sending it in to get built. depending on my paycheck i may have a little extra cash to spend and that heatsink would be the first thing i buy. Either way that will be the first thing i get for the computer next.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
NCIX assembles computers for $50. I'd suggest taking a look at it.
James

Seige07

Seige07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
really eh. where would i look at this option? would it be in the checkout area or someplace else?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I've never done it, but I know it's there as people have talked about it on the forums there.
http://pc.ncix.com/p...platformid=1000
Don't worry about whats there, you can change everything.
James

Edited by james_8970, 22 January 2008 - 02:06 PM.

Seige07

Seige07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
would i need to put fans for the optional accessories? or would the case still come with the fans?