Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buying XP pro

• Please log in to reply

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I've been looking around to buy XP pro, because I had a harddrive failure recently. I need to buy a new HDD. Anyway, it seems [bleep] near impossible for me to find XP professional that isn't upgrade or OEM!

I don't have a previous OS to install an upgrade over, and OEM's can only be installed once, yeah? Why are the full products so hard to find?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
XP Professional has only ever been available in OEM or Retail. The "full" version is basically a Retail licence without a pre-requisite of an existing installation (or CD) but without the restrictions of an OEM licence.
You can buy a new OEM licence and install it forever and a day if you want to.
Do you not already have an XP licence and CD that you can use?

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I don't have _anything_ anymore :)

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Buy an OEM copy. It'll install onto an empty drive.
You can use it again if you need to, you can use it as many times as you need to.