Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

USB Connection Issues

• Please log in to reply

PuffGussy36

PuffGussy36

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
I have an old PC. I only have two USB 2.0 connections in the back. I typically leave my iPod sync cable in one. I just bought an HP 4260 inkjet and connected it via the second USB 2.0 port. Now, whenever I plug in my iPod to sync it, the printer disconnects (goes offline) and iTunes never finds my iPod.

Windows first makes a noise that the printer is disconnected (accompanied by a pop up on the taskbar), then makes a noise the iPod is connected (USB device found) and lastly makes the noise that the iPod is disconnected (hence no sync occurs).

Help! :)

Advertisements

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Do this: since your computer's already old (which makes it obsolete, in the hardware terms), the USB ports might've been underpowered at the time your computer was designed and manufactured, so you'll have to disconnect the printer while using the iPod, and disconnect the iPod while using the printer.

~Kelvin

PuffGussy36

PuffGussy36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
That makes a certain amount of sense. One thing that works is plugging in my iPod before I turn on my PC. Windows is having issues with my USB ports and settings. I find when the devices are already plugged in and the OS loads it identifies the devices, drivers, etc at startup.

Not the best solution but it will do until I can get a new PC.

I'm still open to other ideas. HP seems to think that the printer is being installed to a USB unknown local port. But I couldn't perform their solution because items were missing from my WIN.INI tab.

s2tgrave

s2tgrave

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
had same problem, used a usb-switch, problem solved