Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Low Resources

• Please log in to reply

klockdoc

klockdoc

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I am having trouble with the mouse freezing up. It starts out okay, but then gets to a point where I cannot function at all.

I am running ME. I had a problem the other day with the OP sys. I went through and reloaded ME through the setup file in windows per Compaq's instructions. The mouse sees to work better when I use the safe mode, so maybe some conflict issues.

Also, computer started acting up when typing this letter. Says resources dangerously low. I shut off some of the processes through task manager and then it started typing again.

Also, when I try to open a folder or double click a file to open, I get this message

Explorer has caused an error in WMPDXM.dll , Explorer will now close. The only way I can access a folder (ie: My Documents) is right click the start button and go to Explorer and open that way.

The compuiter loads at 77%, then drops after a while to 0%. Have to shut down to access anything again. The computer is partitioned. C has 3G free, D has 1.8 G free. But when I go to performance, and click on set my own preference, it says only 3408 MB available

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Resource issues under Windows 98 and Millennium are usually caused by some software that you're running.[/i][/color]

Running Windows Setup over Windows can cause issues with Internet Explorer (and subsequently Windows) especially if you had IE6 before you reinstalled.
Therefore install Internet Explorer 6 Setup again and this should sort you out.

Edited by Neil Jones, 08 January 2008 - 03:50 PM.

klockdoc

klockdoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Thank you for your response. I am not sure of what you are talking about with the [color] issue. I changed the desktop wallpaper to none though.

I found IE6 setup and tried to run it again. However, it would not re-install anything. Do I have to uninstall IE6, windows media player, outlook express and all the other programs listed and then re-install?

I went through and cleaned out all the extra registry records that were not linked to any programs. Machine is running faster now and staying at approx. 70% but is still coming up with low resources banner.

Also, when I go to shut down or restart, command will not work. I fixed the "open" issue with the folders.

Cyborg Ninja

Cyborg Ninja

I don't know what Polite means

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
It would be helpful if you posted what you see when you go to the Windows Task Manager, besides just totals. CPU usage per program plus RAM and virtual memory usage would be helpful.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
From some searching on this subject, it is recommended to uninstall IE and then re-install. Since the WMPDXM.dll is related to windows media player, I would uninstall that also.
I am not sure if you need to uninstall Outlook express.

klockdoc

klockdoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

It would be helpful if you posted what you see when you go to the Windows Task Manager, besides just totals. CPU usage per program plus RAM and virtual memory usage would be helpful.

This is what I came up with

System Properties information

Compaq Computer Corp
GenuineIntel
Pentium ®lll processor
127.0MB RAM

Performance Status

Memory: 127.0MB RAM
System Resources: 67% Free
File System: 32-bit
Virtual Memory: 32-bit
Disk Compression: not installed
PC Cards (PCMCIA): No PC Card sockets installed

Your system is configures for optimal performance

File system system restore is on full for min. and max.
Graphics button is on full

Virtual memory is on let windows manage
If I place it on "let me manage:, it only allows 3471MB

OS Name Microsoft Windows
Version 4.90.3000 Build 3000
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name COMPUTER
System Manufacturer Compaq
System Model Compaq PC
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Pentium® III processor GenuineIntel ~731 Mhz
BIOS Version
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
Boot Device \\Device\Harddisk0
Locale United States
User Name
Time Zone Central Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 126.51 MB
Available Physical Memory 292.00 KB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.70 GB
Page File Space 1.88 GB
Page File C:\WINDOWS\WIN386.SWP

Task Manager

Netscape Navigator
Explorer
Avgemc
Winmgmt
Avgcc
Wmencagt
Acrotray
Loadqm
Systray
Pctvoice
Hidserv

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Windows ME is notoriously bad at managing memory, that is why it crashes so often. And it's obvious that something is filling up your memory and using a lot of virtual memory, which means it's using the hard drive when it runs out of memory. Try to find what process if filling up the memory and remove or stop it, or add memory to your system.