Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

"Unlock scanner - power off"

• Please log in to reply

DMouseYD

DMouseYD

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have a Dell A960 and want to make a copy of something. I went to do this and the printer gave me an error "unlock scanner - power off" I checked the green switch under the lid and it is unlocked. I am not sure what else to check on this. Can someone help me?

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Administrator
  • 20,959 posts
  • MVP
Did you cycle the printer after unlocking it? That's the only information that I can find. To unlock the scanner, the button switch goes towards you, and then you have turn it off and on again.

DMouseYD

DMouseYD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The picture on the green tab shows that it should be away from me to unlock - but I can't move it even if I try. Is is supposed to be that hard switch back and forth? It was unlocked when I got it I didn't move the switch. Yes I have powered it off and then back on - it makes a loud noise ( which I am assuming is the scanner being locked? ) and then I go to copy and get the error again.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Administrator
  • 20,959 posts
  • MVP
Well, their manual isn't particularly helpful. It simply tells me that if you're experiencing problems, to make sure the scanner is unlocked. You are correct, it should be pushed away from you to unlock it. It doesn't sound right that it's difficult to move, however - I shouldn't think it would be that difficult. One other thing to try, from the troubleshooting on the Dell website, would be to disconnect the power from the wall socket and the back of the printer, leave it unplugged for at least 15 seconds, and then try again. This may work like a reset of the printer. If that fails, it may be time to contact Dell - is the printer under warranty?

DMouseYD

DMouseYD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Actually I have done that - and got the information from the Dell website - and it didn't work. The printer isn't under warranty anymore - but I will contact them to see if they can help me at least see if the problem is fixable - or if the copier on the printer is toast ~~ :) Thanks for you time - you guys have been very helpful everytime I have an issue!! :)

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Administrator
  • 20,959 posts
  • MVP
Sorry I couldn't give you the magic answer, but good luck with it.