Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

thinkpad memory compatability

• Please log in to reply

tangerine3

tangerine3

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have an IBM Thinkpad T23 that just died and want to replace it with another thinkpad, i have an opportunity to buy an R52. The R52 only has 256mb. Will the memory that I have in the T23 work in the R52 so I can have more memory? Thank you.

Advertisements

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
It depends. How did your old Thinkpad 'die'? What part of it died? If it's the RAM, then don't take it out.

Also, different models use different RAM. A good way to know whether both the Thinkpad's RAM would work together, take these into consideration:

RAM must be identical if you want 2 modules put together (EG: 256MB must be accompanied with another 256MB, and also should be the same manufacturer and model, for best results).

RAM's speed must be identical. To find out more about the details of your RAM, refer to this picture.

Posted Image

There should be something like that (a sticker of some sort) on the top or bottom or somewhere around it. Look at it, and pay attention to the bottom line.

Check to see whether the specifications are similar to the one in the new Thinkpad.

~Kelvin

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

RAM must be identical if you want 2 modules put together (EG: 256MB must be accompanied with another 256MB, and also should be the same manufacturer and model, for best results).

You can put different sizes in E.G. 1-512 and 1-256, If you put a lower speed in all of the memory will run at the lowest speed, but it is best to have the same speed all around.
You can go to the lenovo site here to see what memory your new laptop supports, but chances are it is a different type and will not work. You must match the exact type (ddr, ddr2, ecc, ect..)

tangerine3

tangerine3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
thank you both, I think you are both right. The person that I took it to to see what was wrong with it says it probably is the motherboard and not worth fixing. so looking for another one. I do have mixed memory in it right now and it did work but not sure if at the lower speed or not. i also went to the lenovo site and it doesn't look like they are the same memory at all, oh well.

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Oh. Anyway, if you want higher speed and loading times, you should consider taking 2 modules with equal speed. :) It can work with mixed memory, just that it'll be slower than 2 same modules. Usually, the difference is invisible unless you play games like WoW, Crysis, F.E.A.R. or any memory-eating game like these.

~Kelvin