Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

problems deleting history

• Please log in to reply

cold_shot

cold_shot

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I can do the basic "Internet Options" ..."Delete Cookies" , etc ... and clear history. I can do disc clean-up. But when I go to 'history' and 'search' and type in the letter "a" (for example) it comes up with a bunch of stuff that I would rather have deleted. What am I missing? I run ad-aware frequently along with spybot s&d. Any ideas?

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
I would run ATF Cleaner if I were you

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
This program is for XP and Windows 2000 onlyDouble-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

cold_shot

cold_shot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks ... but that didn't work.

cold_shot

cold_shot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
anyone else have any ideas???

Edited by cold_shot, 09 January 2008 - 07:59 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello cold_shot...

Try turning off the AutoComplete features in your browsers and clear the forms. If you need help with this, I'll need to know which browser you are using.

wannabe1

cold_shot

cold_shot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
No ... it isn't the search bar. It is when I go to History and search from there. (BTW, I tried your suggestion and it didn't work.) I use Internet Explorer.

Thanks

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Would do no harm to try another free cleaning utility, cold_shot. This one is the most popular and quite safe provided you use it only for the cleaning module and leave it's built-in Registry Cleaner alone (it's a tool labelled "Issues"). We don't recommend using Registry Cleaners from anywhere as they can 'break' Windows, but the Cleaner module of this utility is quite harmless, I use it every day.

"Ccleaner": http://www.ccleaner.com/

When you've installed it, tick all the options for Internet Explorer (including "Delete index.dat files") then click "Run Cleaner"
When you select "Delete index.dat files" you'll get a warning pop-up telling you they will be deleted next time you re-boot ('cos they can't be deleted while Windows is running). This is normal, don't worry about it. Index.dat files keep a record of visited websites so deleting them is a good security measure -- it can't be done manually any more since NTFS came on the scene.
Give Cleaner a try -- hope it works.

Important: Make sure IE is closed before you run Ccleaner (it can't delete IE files while IE is running)

Edited by pip22, 14 January 2008 - 08:34 AM.

cold_shot

cold_shot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Yes!! Finally!! pip22, thanks a million. Everything is now gone.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Glad it worked for you, cold_shot. No wonder Ccleaner is the number one cleanup tool! Just proves that sometimes the free stuff is better than some of the junk you have to pay for.

Edited by pip22, 15 January 2008 - 09:21 AM.