Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Display problem

• Please log in to reply

joe f

joe f

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have a new Dell latitude laptop and have plugged an external lcd monitor into it. This worked fine until I accidentally hit some keys (not sure which) on keyboard and the monitor screen which was horizontal and landscape tilted 90 degrees so it is sideways. I tried to change it on the display control box and have adjusted the resolutions (and check boxes) for the two monitors many many times on the control panel/display/settings dialog box but cannot get it back to normal landscape and horizontal for both the laptop screen and the external screen (either with both on, or the laptop off using the fn key that toggles from laptop to the external monitor).

Help!? Joe F.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Try pressing the CTRL and ALT keys at the same time and then use the directional arrows on your keyborad.

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 08 January 2008 - 07:35 PM.

joe f

joe f

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
OK, that worked to change the orientation, thanks, but now the monitor screen is truncated with space above and below it that is blank, and I changed resolution a couple of times and cannot get the full screen. thanks, Joe

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Try your manual monitor controls to adjust the vertical and horizontal.

Murray

joe f

joe f

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Sorry, I did not realize subsequent answers were on the same thread message.

Adjusting the horizontal and vertical items on my monitor does not help. I still have an display with large open/blank/black bands at the bottom and top with this new laptop. It does not do this with my old laptop, which has a full screen.

Is there a way to go back to default resolution settings on the new laptop? Joe

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Go into Device Managaer and remove your vid card through there.

Reboot your system and let Windows find the card and re-install the drivers.

Murray