Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer won't boot/turn on. Replaced PSU. CPU or Mobo problem I t

• Please log in to reply

docgoblin

docgoblin

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
I came home yesterday and my home PC was off. I thought there may have been a power outage, but there wasn't. the computer would not turn on. I assumed it was the PSU even though it was a pretty new unit. I brought home two working PSU's from work and tried each, getting no response by pushing the case switch (I even tried disconnecting the power switch and jumping the pins with a screwdriver, to no avail). I then figured it to be a CPU or Mobo failure. I disconnected everything from the Mobo except the original PSU and the case speaker to see if I'd get some response and maybe some beep errors. All I got was that the PSU finally ran as soon as I plugged it in. I then put the processor back in and plugged in the CPU fan. Still the only activity came from the PSU fan and the CPU fan. There were still no beep codes even though there was no memory installed. I tried replacing the video card and connecting the monitor. When I plugged the PSU back in it immediately started running, the PSU fan ran and the Video card fan ran. There was still no video on the monitor. I then put a memory stick in. The same thing happened. As soon as I plugged in the PSU it started running, as well as the video card fan, but there was no other activity. I took it one step further and reconnected the main HDD along with the video card, the CPU and the memory. As soon as I plugged in the PSU it sounded like there was some kind of spinning coming from the HDD, yet there still was no other activity except the spinning of the PSU and heatsink fans. I'm assuming at this point that my problem is the Mobo or the processor. Given that the PSU, heatsink and the Video fans start spinning as soon as I plug in the PSU (without response from the case switch) I thought it was the Mobo. However, given that there is no other activity (beep errors, video, etc...) except the fans turning I also think it may be the CPU.

My system is an ASUS 8KN board with an AMD 64 3000+ processor. I was running 2GB corsair 400MHz PC3200 memory. I have an Nvidia 5700 AGP card. I was running a 160 GB IDE processor as well as an 80GB SATA drive as secondary storage.

I am assuming at this point that my problem is the CPU, the Mobo, or both.

Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
It must've been a power surge, or maybe a lightning storm when you were out? I'm not sure, but it most probably is the problem, because I don't think any virus can really make a computer malfunction till that extent. The power surge/lightning storm might have burnt something in your CPU. So, let's try this:

If you have extras for every piece of hardware, take the current ones off and try those.

Now, take out your hardware, one by one, and check if there's anything suspicious about them. Look at the parts that connect to the mobo.

Make a list of what hardware's OK and what's suspicious.

Once you have a list of suspected failures, put them in to see whether they are working or not. If they do not work, that means they're dead.

~Kelvin

docgoblin

docgoblin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I tried just hooking up the Mobo, the CPU and heatsink/fan, the HDD, a new video card and a fresh stick of memory. All that happens as soon as the PSU is plugged in is the heatsink fan spins and the PSU fan spins (I don't even have to push the power button, and holding the button doesn't turn it off either). There is no other activity or reaction from the board (such as beep errors) and there is no video on the screen giving me a post or Hard disk error or anything. There is no response from the monitor at all. That's why it seems to me that the board is dead. But I wonder if the CPU may still be alright. Should I just order a new combo and be done with it? Then there is the problem of Mobo/HDD compatibility. Sometimes the Drive isn't recognized on a different board. Then that presents a whole new set of problems as I have a great deal of important stuff on my drive.

Whaddya think?

Kevin

Dngrsone

Dngrsone

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Processors don't often fail without a heck of a lot of urging. If you can find a better deal on a combo, then go for it, otherwise, I'd just get another board first.

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts

I tried just hooking up the Mobo, the CPU and heatsink/fan, the HDD, a new video card and a fresh stick of memory. All that happens as soon as the PSU is plugged in is the heatsink fan spins and the PSU fan spins (I don't even have to push the power button, and holding the button doesn't turn it off either). There is no other activity or reaction from the board (such as beep errors) and there is no video on the screen giving me a post or Hard disk error or anything. There is no response from the monitor at all. That's why it seems to me that the board is dead. But I wonder if the CPU may still be alright. Should I just order a new combo and be done with it? Then there is the problem of Mobo/HDD compatibility. Sometimes the Drive isn't recognized on a different board. Then that presents a whole new set of problems as I have a great deal of important stuff on my drive.

Whaddya think?

Kevin

Then it's a burnt board.

If you need to access your drive on another motherboard, you must make sure it is the same type (eg SATA/IDE), that you have connected it properly, and also VERY important NOT to put the drive into the master drive slot. Putting it there will render the system unbootable.

As for the mobo, I think it's better to lend a spare mobo from someone and test out every piece of hardware. That way you won't get mistaken and just buy a mobo and find out your hardware isn't working.

Processors don't often fail without a heck of a lot of urging. If you can find a better deal on a combo, then go for it, otherwise, I'd just get another board first.

You can follow Dngr's recommendation too, after you've confirmed what's burnt and what's not. :)

~Kelvin

docgoblin

docgoblin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I found a reputable dealer on Ebay with a combo of the same board with a faster processor. I'll give that a try.

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Ok. Mind sharing with me on what mobo you gonna try out?

~Kelvin