Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Yahoo Messenger & Web Cam Delays

• Please log in to reply

willow2002

willow2002

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I'm moving in 3 days and trying to set up web cams so my Mom and I can talk and see each other. Their computer has Windows XP w/ SP2 and 480MB RAM. I first tried installing Skype using a Logitech QuickCam Communicate STX. Video chats would cause the computer to freeze and I would have to unplug the computer to restart. I uninstalled the Logitech and installed a Microsoft LifeCam VX-3000. The same freeze up problem happened.

Now I am trying Yahoo Messenger. The computer doesn't freeze up, but there are significant video delays. When I check the stats on the webcam, the fps is 0.77. I have the resolution set on the lowest setting (160 x 120).

I have checked with the internet provider (broadband) and my download speed is about 2.4 mbps and upload speed is 425 kbps so they say the connection is not the problem.

I would appreciate any help. I'd really like to get this up and running so I can stay in touch with my Mom.

Thanks,
Les

Advertisements

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
I am not sure what your processor speed is, but with only 400ish mb of Ram, you might be running a little slow for XP. Windows is known for being a RAM pig, you might want to try and upgrade your ram, and see if that helps, however Its not the cheapest thing you can do.

From what you said its not the ISP, so it has to be the computer. Whats the min specs on your camera? If you bought it new, then it will be on the box on the side.

willow2002

willow2002

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
The specs on the camera are:
Intel Pentium III 550 MHz (Pentium 4.1.4 GHz recommended)
256 MB of RAM or higher
Hard Drive - 300-700 MB free

They are also running Norton Anti-Virus and Firewall.

Les