Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP and AVI

• Please log in to reply

Burty

Burty

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Dear all,

I can't play any AVI files in Windows Media Player. I only get the sound and then it shows the usual graphics (like a screen saver). I looked it up here on GTG and tried half a dozen different media players (Classic, Hyplay and quite a few others. Same results (although the symptoms vary from just being stuck after the first image, to messages that it can't be played).

Sometimes I see that my McAfee icon 'lights up', and there is then a text in the McAfee Access Protection Log, saying:

Would be blocked by Access Protection rule (rule is currently not enforced) LAPTOPBH\bh C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE C:\Documents and Settings\JP\Local Settings\Temp\Rar$EX00.437\mplayerc.exe Common Standard Protection:Prevent common programs from running files from the Temp folder Action blocked : Execute

This one is mentioning that I used Media Player Classic (one of the few I tried), but the result is the same with Windows Media Player.

However, it does not happen always that I get a message in McAfee. But I nevertheless can't play the files anymore.

I have the feeling McAfee is blocking some codecs, but I am not sure, because I used to be able to play AVI files, and I did not change anything in the settings.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help, regards,

Burty

Advertisements

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Would be blocked by Access Protection rule (rule is currently not enforced) LAPTOPBH\bh C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE C:\Documents and Settings\JP\Local Settings\Temp\Rar$EX00.437\mplayerc.exe Common Standard Protection:Prevent common programs from running files from the Temp folder Action blocked : Execute

Try downloading it to a place like your Desktop or C drive, and play the video. Should work.

~Kelvin

Burty

Burty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Kelvin,

It was downloaded to the desktop already, and doesn't work.

Now, however, I see that existing (i.e non-recently downloaded videos, also AVI's) can not be viewed either. WMV, MPG etc. can all be viewed.

When media player starts playing an AVI, it says 'acquiring codecs', and then 'codecs acquired', but still only the sound.

B

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Oh, then it might be a codec problem.

http://www.free-code..._Codec_Pack.htm

There are other sites which you can download codecs from. Just Google it.

Anyway, also try using VLC Media Player or WinAmp to play files. It'll save you a lot of time - they have LOTS of codec pre-installed.

~Kelvin

Burty

Burty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
yep! VLC works. Strange that media player didn't work, while before it did. Can it also have something to do with internet connections?
Thanks so far!

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Don't think so. Usually the problem with Windows Media Player is that it doesn't have accurate codecs, as there are xvid avi's and they mistake it for normal avi's.. etc. Something like that.

~Kelvin