Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Taskbar/Systray Freeze

• Please log in to reply

bigdave

bigdave

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi folks,

Over the past few months, I've had an issue on starting up Windows where the load time has increased, icons fail to load in the systray (regardless of whether their associated processes are running in Task Manager), and usually by the time it finally finishes starting up, explorer.exe halts, and needs to be restarted. The best remedy so far is to log out, and log back in again, and everything starts then as normal. All my icons, everything! Second time's always a charm, provided that I don't reboot (which just brings it back to square one).

I have consulted one or two people in regards to this issue, only to find all the solutions; such as a Diskeeper (boot-time and standard) or Windows defrag, Virus Scanning using NOD32, and Spyware Sweeping using Windows Defender, Spybot 1.5, Ad-Aware 2007, and Webroot Spysweeper. I've even tried several Registry Cleaners, from the old regclean.exe that came with earlier versions of Windows, Registry Mechanic 7, to Advanced System Optimizer.

I have even gone as far as doing an XP Repair install, exactly as the top pinned topic suggests (it's usually an OK remedy). That failed to work. Therefore, I'm fresh out of ideas. And I'd prefer not to do a clean installation of Windows, unless it's the only way that you or anyone else can envision this problem going away.

One other thing I should mention is that my PSU is an Antec NEO-HE 430w. It's about a one and a half years old, and could maybe have been put through its paces. I do have a lot of hardware installed (see my attached System Information log), and lately, I've been disconnecting stuff I don't need just so I can be sure there's enough power distribution. My motherboard's (Abit AS8) firmware reports the "PWN" to be running at around 50 degrees celsius (after about 10 minutes of running), which is the maximum output temperature, as per the PSU's specifications. Sometimes it can go as far up as 60 degrees celsius, after exiting a game like Battlefield 2142. I would wonder if this could be the cause of all the problems, and if a new, and more powerful one, should be purchased? I'm quite broke right now, and would prefer not to until I can source the finances at no compromise to the more important things in life.

So, apart from the odd BSoD at Start-Up (possibly graphics related - will deal with that another time), and this already described issue, my PC does run quite well. However, could let you guys judge that for yourself, as you're the experts?

To facilitate your efforts as best I can, I have attached an exported System Information log and a HijackThis log; all created within the last 15 minutes.

Really, any and all help and insight would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.

Dave.

Attached Files

Edited by bigdave, 11 January 2008 - 07:51 AM.

Advertisements

dipak_helpdesk

dipak_helpdesk

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,

I understand from sysinfo that you are using windows XP.

After booting run msconfig.
Start - run - msconfig.
Then go to startup tab (last). Here uncheck the items which are not required to be run at startup. All these items tries to load at boot time and appears as icon in taskbar.
Also you can stop some of the unwanted services of windows xp.
Control panel - administrative tools - services.

Following services you can disable.
1. IPSEC
2. Help and support
3. Task scheduler ( provided not using )
4. SSDP Discovery
5. Wireless zero config
6. Messenger

I hope this will help.

Regards,
Dipak

bigdave

bigdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I'll give the disabling of the Services a go. I have already in the past, and recently, trimmed my start-up applications. It didn't work.

However, I'll be needing "SSDP Discovery", as I do use UPnP with my Linksys router.

Thanks for the reply. I'll post back when I find out if it has worked or not.

Edited by bigdave, 10 January 2008 - 12:37 PM.

bigdave

bigdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Apologies for the double post. I did try what you suggested, dipak. No luck, I'm afraid.

Anything else worth giving a go?

dipak_helpdesk

dipak_helpdesk

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,

Many a cases this has worked for me.
Other than that I see it can be some virus / spyware problem.
Did you checked after logging in, Task manager and checked for processes .. Can you see any unknown process runing/ consuming memory/cpu resources...?

Regards,

Dipak

bigdave

bigdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
No, not at all. Nothing that seems unusual. It's all stuff that's needed, as far as I can see. In-fact, I have attached a Hijack This log to my first post in this topic. Also, I have run all the scans in the world, got rid of some infections, and nothing has changed.

Edited by bigdave, 11 January 2008 - 07:38 AM.

bigdave

bigdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Ok, I've reinstalled XP from scratch. Everything's fine now, so it seems.

Thanks for your help, dipak.

Case closed. :)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
To save yourself from going though this again and again, invest in an external USB 2.0 hard dive and do an image backup of your working system. Then when this occurs again (when, not if) a 30 minute image restore has you up and running.

I keep two backup for each of my 3 XP systems and always replace the oldest. I backup every 2 months or so.

In addition, I backup my personal data continuously using a program called Mirror Folder which allows me to backup data from one computer to another over my local network. Then if I have to restore from an image, I can load the latest data on top and be fully up to date.

This takes a little thought and planning (and some $$$) but the peace of mind is well worth it, at least for me.

bigdave

bigdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I have 3 HDD's, making up 1tb. One of them is a 500gb external. However, I'm nearly full on all of the HDD's, as I download too much. :)

But it's not all bad, really. I have my two internal HDD's partitioned into a total of 4 drives. Therefore, I can backup data from the C drive easily onto the D drive. It's quick and painless. The only thing is, when I do a wipe, I have to install all my device drivers again (always download whatever updates are available online too) and all my applications. But I don't lose any data as such.

Thanks for the advice, though. When I'm not a broke student, I may take it up!