Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Gaming Rig?

• Please log in to reply

georgewashington16

georgewashington16

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Would this be a good gaming computer? I have 2 GB 800Mhz RAM, HIS 3850 graphics card, Intel Core 2 Duo e4500 @2.2 GHz(I may overclock if needed), xfx 680i motherboard, windows vista home premium 64-bit, 300 GB SATA HD 7200, ultra-600 WATT PSU (37A on the 12v rail). Will this be enough to play UT3 maxed out and crysis on Medium/High Settings?

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Can you give me a link to that ultra PSU, many of the early models are garbage.
I suggest getting a motherboard with intel P35 chipset.
Since you're only getting 2GB of RAM, I highly recommend you just get the 32bit operating system. The P35-DS3L is a great board that retails for about 100$.
James

Edited by james_8970, 09 January 2008 - 11:29 PM.

georgewashington16

georgewashington16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Okay man here is the link to the psu.

http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=1483

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yes, your going to need to invest into a better PSU.
Again, I strongly recommend you purchase a P35-DS3L motherboard over the 680i. With the additional money you'll have either get a GPU upgrade or a CPU upgrade.
James

georgewashington16

georgewashington16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
But the PSU has a really good warranty and I already purchased it. What is so bad about it? I bought it because it was apparently a decent priced 600W PSU and also because I had read good reviews on it. I do understand that the majority of the time you get what you pay for. I paid $65 for this. I was wondering what the 2G after x-finity meant anyways.

Edited by georgewashington16, 11 January 2008 - 07:55 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

But the PSU has a really good warranty and I already purchased it. What is so bad about it? I bought it because it was apparently a decent priced 600W PSU and also because I had read good reviews on it.

Sure they'll replace the PSU, the problem is, when I PSU dies it usually takes your whole computer with it. Whether or not it's worth the risk is up to you.
Reviews from Newegg mean nothing, and there are very few PSU reviews I trust, as many people don't have enough equipment to properly test PSU (costs upwards of 15,000$ to do).
While the PSU will power your rig, the components that create that unit are not of high quality.
James

Edited by james_8970, 11 January 2008 - 07:24 PM.