Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with new video card

• Please log in to reply

joyc

joyc

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I just upgraded the video card in my kid's computer and I'm having a problem with it. The old card that I replaced was a 32mb radeon 7000, this new one is a 128mb EVGA e-geforce 6200. I think it should be much faster but it's not, it's extremely slow. For example: when I scroll down the page I can see a line coming down the screen, it's the new picture showing up. That never happened before.

The computer has:

Windows XP SP2
AMD Sempron 2600+
Asus K8U-X Motherboard
512mb of ram

I think I did everything correctly when I installed it but I'm relatively new to computers so I may have done something wrong. I'll describe what I did. First I uninstalled the drivers for the old radeon card and shut the computer down. After that I removed it from the computer and put the new card in it's place. Then I connected everything and turned the computer on. Next, I installed the drivers that came with the new video card. Windows also downloaded & installed something else called "plug and play monitor". After that I opened firefox, and I noticed how long it was taking for things to show up.

So.. does anyone know what is causing this and how I can fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

joyc

joyc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I figured it out. I actually had not installed the drivers. :)

It is working now.