Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Changing out one of the PC's on my home Network

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Hello, I have two PC's currently up and running on a Home wired Ethernet Network. One runs Windows 98 and the other XP. I am waiting on a new PC that I will use to replace the old PC. Can this be done reasonably seemlessly or is this going to be a pain because I am adding a new PC to the Network? Would it be simpler to have the new PC machine name be the same as the old PC machine name I am replacing? The new PC will be running Vista. I am trying to get a heads up on what I will be up against other than saving all the old files etc.

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Shoulndt be to much of a problem replacing your old PC

i recently had a new Vista PC and it was a breeze putting it on my network and no you dont have to have the same name as your old PC as i called mine TARDIS lol

On the Vista you will have to tell it your on a private network to file and printer sharing working thoe

Hope this helps