Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need to find replacement motherboard for Gateway gt5034

• Please log in to reply

CBHedricks

CBHedricks

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Just a quick note on the OS repair issues....

I have seen major problems with changing out OEM motherboards to different or upgraded motherboards. The manufacture routinely stamps the OEM system disks with a 'tattoo' code that binds the OEM release to that specific system so when you upgrade the motherboard you may loose that tattoo and thus will find the OEM Windows disk to be completely useless.

Worst case is the disks from HP/Compac, as they are basically System Images rather than installation media. Trying to repair a previously installed OS with them is most difficult and not advised if you have changed out major components with anything other than direct factory replacement parts.

Good luck with the situation.

CB

Advertisements

abalone

abalone

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Yeah, I've been bit by those major problems when swapping out motherboards on systems with OEM versions of Windows.

The industry seems to move at a pace that by the time the warranties have expired, exact replacement motherboards aren't available anymore...a good argument for the consumer to ask for a retail copy of Windows.

ashen

ashen

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey...

I would like to thank you all for this information. I was looking around to see what it would take to upgrade my current Foxconn C51GU01 Motherboard in both CPU, RAM and Video...but I see it's not worth it. I might as well look to buying a new system, as it would be cheaper.

Again, thanks for all the great information! It probably just saved me a lot of heartache.

Cheers,
Ashen

Edited by ashen, 10 July 2008 - 03:53 PM.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
you can find an oem version of Windows XP/Vista at a web site like tigerdirect, or newegg for around $100.00 +- .
You can also find everything you need to build a machine on our home page!
We built a mid grade machine for around $850.00 that is very nice.
I believe that a gaming machine was built on a budget as well.

falconrob

falconrob

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just wanted to say thanks. I have been scouring the internet since June of this year trying to find an answer to my dilema. I have the same motherboard and one day the system began to reboot and giving error recovery pop ups when I awoke in the morning. Then the video went completely out. I bought a new 8600GT and another video card, two new power supplies, more memory......see where I am going? Today 3+ months later I find this site. the video has only worked on the new card when the sun was at the right angle and I was doing a head stand. I now run off the onboard video and have many different parts lying around for a new system. I am going to take the advice I found here and get a new MB and move on from there. What a nightmare this has been...........

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Just a quick note on the OS repair issues....

I have seen major problems with changing out OEM motherboards to different or upgraded motherboards. The manufacture routinely stamps the OEM system disks with a 'tattoo' code that binds the OEM release to that specific system so when you upgrade the motherboard you may loose that tattoo and thus will find the OEM Windows disk to be completely useless.

Worst case is the disks from HP/Compac, as they are basically System Images rather than installation media. Trying to repair a previously installed OS with them is most difficult and not advised if you have changed out major components with anything other than direct factory replacement parts.

Good luck with the situation.

CB

as a note to future readers as well.... usually if the disk says it's a windows disk as opposed to a recovery disk then you can sometimes to the repair install.... recovery however usually means as stated above that it is an image or that it installs drivers specific to the original equipment and may therefore cause "change" issues with xp. Also note some companies tatoo hard drives and not motherboards.... meaning you cannot replace the hard drive... some do both... laptops tend to be tatoo'd more often than desktops...

Quick-Tech

Quick-Tech

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I know I'm late to the party on this one.
Gateway (and others) replacement parts go here if they have them in stock.
http://www.skyline-eng.com

I still haven't been able to find Foxconn C51GU01 Motherboard
or similar boards.