Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

having problems installing OFFICE 2007

• Please log in to reply

mrq201

mrq201

• PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
I have a little problem. I have two computers and a laptop. A dell optiplex GX620 with windows xp SP2 and a dell optiplex GX400 also with xp SP2, a gateway laptop mt5705 with windows vista

I just received OFFICE 2007 and tried to install it onto both computers. I removed all previous versions from all computers and the notebook. I reinstalled OFFICE 2007 onto the laptop and the optiplex GX620 with ease. With the GX 400, when i insert the CD, it does not auto run, so i go into my computer. When i right click onto the D drive, it is telling me please insert a disk. Note well, the cd is already inserted. Any reasons as to why it is doing this??

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks To Go. I am hfcg, and I will try to help you.
Could you please tell me if this is a multi-user copy of office 2007?
On the computer that would not load office;
  • please click on the start menu
  • click on control panel
  • open device manager
  • look for any yellow question marks, or exclamation points.
please post back and let me know if there are. thank you

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
Hey. thanks for your quick reply... This site has helped me alot before, so I have faith in you. Actually, i do not know if it is a multi-user or not. I have installed this copy of OFFICE 2007 on umm lets say on about 6 other computers without any issues.

On the computer i am trying to install it on, i am not seeing any exclamation points or question marks.

To add to this, i believe it has not worked or has not installed on any GX400. I have also installed it on 2 other optiplex's 745.
I was thinking it may not work on older model computers????

If you need any more information, i will gladly give.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, If you have installed this on 6 other computers than it is a corporate key code and you should get your IT department to help you. If this is not a company computer than it is basically pirated software. I am sorry. Please view our terms of use .

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
Well yeah it is a company computer and the CD is not pirated. It came from where I work and i was instructed to install it on the computers at work. We have dell optiplex 745 and we have dell optiplex gx400 and some more dells. It will not install onto any of the GX400 but it installs onto the 745.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello again, Since you stated that the drive does not see a disc when the disc is in I believe that the problem is with the drive, not the computer.
Does the drive see other disc at this time? Please try a different disc and let me know. Thank you.

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
See, thats what i thought also, but i had recently installed a new hard drive in that pc, and i had to install the hard drive software. I also had to install office 2003, so the drive works. Thats why it was puzzling to me.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Sounds like you may have a VLK (Volume License Key) for the Office cd and you have run out of licenses.

Contact your IT Dept. and find out how many licenses were purchased under the VLK plan.

Murray

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
Thank you

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Hi mrq201,

Long-shot consideration....

Intuitively, I do not recognize how the system requirements of Office 2003 vs. Office 2007 would block the Installation CD of Office 2007 from being recognized before installation .......... but it "could" be a factor.

Office 2007 requires a minimum of 256mb RAM
Office 2003 requires a minimum of 128mb RAM

Have a look at the system resources of your GX400

If your GX400 has 256mb RAM or greater, please ignore this suggestion.

Best Regards

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
You know, i never really thought about that, but the computer currently has 512mb. Il leave it alone and try to get the software from the server. Thank you for all the help though