Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ask Questions for Clarification

• Please log in to reply

Doreen Kay

Doreen Kay

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I must say that I am disappointed by one of the moderators.

A topic that I started was closed based on an assumption (in my opinion). There weren't any questions asked or anything. Just one assumption...and *bam*, it got closed.

I had a question about Outlook & mass marketing. The topic was closed because it seemed as if she thought I wanted to learn how to spam...since "Outlook is used for email". First of all, spamming was FURTHEST thing from my mind...as Outlook is used for waaaayyyyyyy more than JUST email.

I just joined this site yesterday because I thought I could learn a few things. But now, I am a little dissappointed.

(I must say that just about everyone else has been pretty nice. I hope this is my only negative experience.)

:)

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Well, questions were asked that you did not know the answer to. In general, mass marketing is an approach that blankets people with solicitations or ads. If it's being sent by the Post Office, it would be those fliers or coupons addressed to Occupant that are simply trying to get you to buy something. In email, mass marketing is typically used as a spam tool. If you're going to use it to send mass emails to a large mailing list, especially as unsolicited email, it would indeed be considered spam by most recipients. If you're able to get more information as to how your colleague really wanted to use this, and it doesn't appear to be for the purposes of spam, feel free to ask the question again. Also, Outlook is an email program, so that is it's primary purpose. I don't think it's accurate to say that it's used for way more than email; any additional uses would be an adjunct to the email, not a completely different use of it.

Doreen Kay

Doreen Kay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
1. Only ONE person asked a question...and their response was more friendly and inviting than the moderator that closed the topic. The response that I received clearly (in my opinion) made it seem like I wanted to spam.
2. I am aware of what mass marketing is. Did anyone attempt to ask who the target audience was? No. Did anyone ask if it was unsolicited or requested info. No.
3. I never said that Outlook wasn't an email program. Nor, did I state that email wasn't Outlook's primary purpose. What I DID say is that Outlook is used for waaaayyyyyy more than that. See link below...those are just a few things....which you all probably already know. (I'm the one trying to learn.)

Different Things To Use Outlook For

:) :) :) :) :)

Disappointed again.

I will ask my colleague. But, is it even worth it? If the question isn't asked correctly...or if I don't know something again - will it just get closed? No need to answer....
:)

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Let me try to respond to each point.

1. Only ONE person asked a question...and their response was more friendly and inviting than the moderator that closed the topic. The response that I received clearly (in my opinion) made it seem like I wanted to spam.

The moderator in question did exactly as she should have. We do not support/condone/allow SPAM here in any form. More to follow in my response to your next point.

2. I am aware of what mass marketing is. Did anyone attempt to ask who the target audience was? No. Did anyone ask if it was unsolicited or requested info. No.

This is a public website with ~200k members and visited by many thousands of people every day. Your intent may have been innocent, but the next person to come along may not have the same intention. Were not going to tell you how to mass market using outlook when that information could be misused by so many people.

3. I never said that Outlook wasn't an email program. Nor, did I state that email wasn't Outlook's primary purpose. What I DID say is that Outlook is used for waaaayyyyyy more than that. See link below...those are just a few things....which you all probably already know. (I'm the one trying to learn.)

Is Outlook used for many things? I suppose so. Is there a way to mass market to a calendar or a contact list? No. Therefore it was absolutely fair of Johanna to deduce that you were asking how to mass market to email. Mass marketing to email is generally considered SPAM. When you send email to a list of people who sign up to be marketed to, its generally called a newsletter.

Everyone makes mistakes, no one is perfect. If you are truly here to ask a valid question, please feel free to do so. However if it does not fall within the guidelines of our Terms of Use, then it will be closed/removed as quickly as we can get to it.

ScHwErV :)

Doreen Kay

Doreen Kay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
MY INTENT WAS INNOCENT. I just wish someone would believe me. I am being made to look like the bad person. Why doesn't ANYONE believe that I WAS NOT TRYING FIND OUT HOW TO SPAM?

*sighs*

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Doreen Kay...

I reopened your topic...please continue.

Doreen Kay

Doreen Kay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Sorry for any confusion. I will have to be careful with what I ask. :)

Edited by Doreen Kay, 10 January 2008 - 03:02 PM.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Not to be rude, but it may be a good idea not to use that colour in your posts. It is hard to read and could be a strain for some users.

Doreen Kay

Doreen Kay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
What colors are acceptable, other than the typical blue or black?

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
All colours are acceptable but if you are going to write a big post in purple or other bright colours it will be tough on the eyes after a while, meaning the post is more likely to be ignored by users.

For example, I don't use this colour to explain my post to you cause it would cause problems after a while, or this one.

Edited by Rorschach112, 10 January 2008 - 03:41 PM.

Doreen Kay

Doreen Kay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Okay.