Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cpu usage...

• Please log in to reply

Nirus

Nirus

• Pip
  • 7 posts
hey I'm haveing and issue with my comp, my cpu usage is running at 99% one of my svchost is using it all if I end task it I drop to 77% when nothing is running, and I cannot figure out why. I had posted HJT logs and DSS logs and Silent runner logs and had them checked for any malware and has come up clean, also after running avg-antispware, avg, and trojan hunter I lost my sound? says no mixing device availible..... does this every time I scan, but after a restart returns to normal??

Advertisements

dipak_helpdesk

dipak_helpdesk

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,

Make sure you have latest service pack and required security updates for your operating system. Then try to spend time further.

Thanks
Dipak

Nirus

Nirus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
hey, after ALOT of reading I've found out that therer is a problem with windows automatic update, and that is why svchost.exe is using 99% of my cpu. if you turn the auto update off my cpu usage has dropped down to a more realistic 70%. I'm still not outta the woods yet though as I'm not running anything I'm wondering why my performance says I'm using 70% of my cpu and 300mb of ram but when I look under processes is says that my system idle is at 61% which would imply that I'm really only running at 49%. just wondering if anyone had any ideas as to why???

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Try this process, see if it helps:

How does it behave if you boot to Safe Mode with Networking? If better then something is starting at boot that is causing the problem. Try the following:

First, physically disconnect from the Internet to prevent a malware infection while your Anti-virus and/or Firewall are disabled in the following steps, then do a normal boot:

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab and disable everything (I mean everything).
Do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, click on the Services tab. Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.

Reconnect to the Internet when your AV and firewall are active again.

Nirus

Nirus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have already turned off all startup progs, I usually like to keep none of them running

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What about the Services?