Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Fdisk problem

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I guess fdisk is actually software, so i'm posting it here.

I'm trying to partition my 200GB HDD, but the only fdisk I have is from a windows 98SE install cd, and it won't recognise more than 50gb.

I need to find some sort of more modern fdisk that can handle much higher capacities. I need to be able to burn it to a CD (No, I can't use floppy), and I guess I have to be able to boot from it. I've had no luck finding such a thing.

EDIT: I managed to partition the whole 200GB using percentages, but, if anyone still knows something about a more modern fdisk that can recognise full sizes (because I wanted to make a 1gb partition for something, but the smalled % I could use was 1%, which gave 1.8gb), it would be much appreciated.

Edited by Seltox, 10 January 2008 - 04:36 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Fdisk, because of its age, wraps round at the 64Gb mark and this gives the impression it won't see over a certain size - it does, it just doesn't display properly.
Ideally you need something like Partition Magic or, if this is a second drive, you can do all this from within Windows XP.

Edited by Neil Jones, 10 January 2008 - 06:06 PM.