Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD-Drive not working

• Please log in to reply

Palax

Palax

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My DVD/CD-ROM drive is getting the following message in device manager :

Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

Troubleshooting asked me if the device has been detached which it hasn't, and if this isn't the case than my CD-drive is faulty. I've never messed with the Disc Drive, and it's really weird that it's not being detected. Anybody have any idea what might be going on?

Advertisements

Dngrsone

Dngrsone

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Did you open up the computer and verify the IDE cable is not loose? Even if it isn't, removing and reseating the cable at both ends is a good idea. Do this with the machine turned off, of course.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G Palax

Can you try the following steps please:

Go to Start -> Run and type regedit [click OK]
In the left hand pane of regedit. navigate to the following branch:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Click once on the {4D36E965....} part in the left pane, so that it is highlighted in blue.
Next, click on the 'Registry' menu in the toolbar & select 'Export Registry File'. Give the file a name (such as back.reg) & click Save.
Next, in the right hand pane of regedit, look for an entry called 'UpperFilters'. If you see it, right click on it & delete it.
Next look for an entry called 'LowerFilters'. If you see it, right click it & delete it.

Close regedit & reboot the system.

Be aware that after the reboot, even though your CD drive should be working properly again, you may find that any CD burning software you have, is not working (I'm assuming that you do have a CD Writer...). In this case, you'll need to reinstall the burning software.

Palax

Palax

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The problem is now fixed, thank you, Samm.

I don't see how anybody could know this stuff, but I am glad that somebody does.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're very welcome. As for how I know this stuff, just consider me omniscient! :)

Edited by Samm, 10 January 2008 - 05:52 PM.