Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Securing my home network

• Please log in to reply

mrq201

mrq201

• PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
Ok i am taking a network securtiy class. The first class was today and i learned some interesting stuff. Im a CIS major and am always willing to learn new stuff. Now that ive stated that, i created a home network.

I have 2 pcs, both running windows xp SP2 and a laptop which runs windows vista.

I have a Belkin F5D7230-4 Wireless-G 54Mbps Broadband Router.
I have zonealarm on both computers.
I have not found out how to install zonealarm on windows vista as yet.

I hvae a program which scans my ports, and so far, no one is using my port that is not authorized to.

I have also set up each computer to print to one printer and i can access and view files from my every single computer. EXAMPLE.... if i am on my laptop, and i want to view files on say computer 1 or 2, i can. If i am on computer two and i want to access files on computer 1, i can. I have set up shared folders to do this or i basically shared the drive.

I have the main computer (host computer(computer 1) in my room), computer 2 is in the living room and my laptop is where ever i am. On computer two, i have not set it up as to where someone has to put in a password to log in. Basically, i have no guest accounts (i know its bad). This right here is a risk because anyone with computer sense can access files on my host computer because it is always on.

Secondly, i have not set up a password on my wireless network for my router. Another huge, big security risk.

So i have two questions i believe, or im wondering about two main things.

1. How do i secure my router, that is, whenever someone with a laptop comes into my place or in range, i want them to have to put in a password or basically securing it. Thats first

2. I want to do something where only I as the administrator would be able to access each and every folder on my home network.

Any information that is needed, trust me, i will more than happy to give becauase i really want to learn more about this stuff.

Advertisements

Dngrsone

Dngrsone

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Well, for the router, it's simply a matter of accessing the router itself. There is likely a "home page" url and/or IP address on the bottom of the router itself that you can punch into a browser and manage the settings. WEP is a weaker encryption scheme, so go with WPA if you can.

Likely, the router has a built-in firewall, which is probably preferable to Zone Alarm with one exception-- ZA will tell you when something on your computer wants to access the internet. It's an annoyance to many, but it's a good indicator of an otherwise undetected infection.

Personally, I built a firewall appliance out of an old PII system and installed Smoothwall Express, a stripped-down Linux specifically designed to do just that job.

As for the shared drives/folders, you need to turn off simple sharing and set permissions on each to allow only your username and Administrator write and change permissions.

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
ok this makes sense with the setting of the permissions. Any assistance with setting that up. I really dont have any idea what is wap or wep, so any more insight into that and what the settings should be. I really do not want to mess up what i have already. I am afraid that when i play with the permissions, i wont be able to access the folders from my laptop or computers. I will still try to do it on my own though.