Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Randomly Shuts Off -HELP ME PLEASE

• Please log in to reply

Nick_D

Nick_D

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi. I've just joined here so I don't know where this thread should go..so mods please feel free to move it if it's in the wrong place (sorry). Anyways, I've lately been having some problems with my computer. Here is what has been happening-

Starting maybe a month or even longer ago, my computer would randomly shut off. I hadn't recently installed any hardware/software (to my knowledge). Sometimes I could go a whole day without it shutting off, some days I couldn't even go 10 minutes. I noticed that sometimes the computer would just shut off, and sometimes it would simply freeze up and make a long beep, at which point i would just hit the reset button. I also noticed that if i stood up too fast it would shut off, but sometimes i could jump around in my room and nothing would happen. Sometimes it would also just shut off even if I wasn't moving.

Also, after shutting off, one of three things would happen:

1) I would simply need to press the power button again for it to turn back on and it would boot back up like nothing happened
2) It would say windows failed to load properly and give me options to run in Safe Mode, Last Known Good Settings, or Start Normally
3) It would say "Overclocking Failed", at which point i would enter bios and assure that all of my devices were actually not overclocked, and then continue to boot windows normally

After these messages, I expected that my computer was overheating, but upon checking Asus Probe, all of my fans were running properly and my temperatures were at normal conditions. After this, I suspected a virus, but my daily AVG scans showed nothing and Hijack This showed nothing as well. Then, my computer started to turn off even before windows could boot.

I have tried the following things in this order:
1) Cleaning fans and case
2)Replacing Power Supply
3) Booting without hard drive
4)Booting without graphics card (resulted in a beep and the computer didnt shut off afterwards, however i had no monitor and couldn't tell what was going on)
5) Replacing graphics card
6) Swapping RAM to different slots
7) Replacing Processor

After all of this, my computer still does not work. The only thing I have in mind is replacing my motherboard, but my motherboard is old and hard to find in stores (Socket 478, AGP, and other bad stuff). It would be a pain to order one online and have not work, only to have to return it and pay restocking fees. So my question to you is: is replacing the motherboard what will solve my problem? and, if not, what will?

Thanks in advance, and sorry again if this is the wrong place to post this.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Can you enter bios and post the voltages of the +3.3,+5 and +12V after the computer has been in bios for 15 minutes
Also post the temps.
List your full specs including the band and model of the psu
carefully inspect the motherboard capacitors(can looking things) Are the tops swollen or leaking a brown substance?

heres a pic of what to look for

bad caps

Nick_D

Nick_D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Here are my computer specs:

ASUS P4P800SE Motherboard
120GB 7200 RPM Western Digital HDD
nVidia 7800 Graphics Card (AGP Version)
1024 MB RAM
Intel P4 2.8E Ghz Processor (Prescott Edition)
Soundblaster Audigy X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Edition
ATX12V Power Supply From Raidmax 420W

I have also tried the following parts:

700W Power Supply from thermaltake (i think it was thermaltake?)
ATI Radeon 9600
Intel P4 3.0Ghz

by band of power supply, do u mean wattage or something else?

I can no longer get the temperatures for you because my computer wont boot up but they were within normal limits before when i could actually boot windows.
i cant enter bios either because by the time i do my computer already turns it self off =/
and the capacitors appear to be fine too....i've examined my motherboard and nothing looks wrong from the outside..but i could be missing something

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Well Nick it could be a bad motherboard, heck with all the parts you swapped in I don't see what else it could be but lets try a few things

Remove all drives and cards except video, this is a test just to see if one of these could possibly be causing problems.

Raidmax psu's are very poor quality so with the thermaltake psu in it start it up and just see if it will post, if it don't make sure a case speaker is connected and remove the ram and power on, does it beep?

Does it beep one long repeating beep?

Nick_D

Nick_D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

here's an update on my current situation:
i tried moving the computer to a new power outlet (read somewhere that could help)
the result of this is that now my monitor won't even register anything when the computer turns on, it just continues to say "Searching for signal". However, after i did this, the computer no longer randomly turned off...

After moving it back to the original outlet it still no longer randomly turned off, and the monitor still no longer registers the computer

When booting without a graphics card the same thing happened...no monitor no turning off, however i know that the speakers are working because when i put the video card back in afterwards and forgot to plug in the power cable for it, there was a long beep

So, here's my possible explanation
Initially my power supply was shorting out, causing the random turning off
when i installed the new power supply, i also cleaned my fans, and in doing so i messed up motherboard (hence why it could no longer boot past BIOS. My motherboard then got destroyed even worse after i changed the outlets, so now it wont even boot at all.

that sounds like the only possible explanation to me, since i've tried everything else.

This leaves me with 2 things to try:

1) Try my brother's motherboard in my computer (it has the same socket, ddr requirements, graphics port, etc.)
If i do this however, will i mess his motherboard up because i am plugging a whole set of new cards and parts into it? I'm already down a mobo, i dont want to have to be down 2.....and this will only confirm my problem not solve it

2) Buy a whole new motherboard which means that since my current is socket 478 which our outdated, i would also need a new LGA 775 socket processor. All motherboards that I have seen so far that are socket LGA 775 are also PCI express and DDR2 or DDR3 (I have ddr sdram or w/e the older version is called), so I'll need new ram and a new graphics card, which is totally not worth fixing my computer.

Thus, I am rendered computer-less until such times as I can come up with the $$ to pay for all this stuff, which is probably like 97 years.

*Edit* One more thing: a friend at school mentioned awhile ago that the cmos battery could be dying.. I then realized that when i was moving outlets i took out my cmos battery for about 20 seconds (enough to reset it) and placed it back in. However, im unaware if it was aftet he monitor stopped registering the graphics card or before. How can i test if my cmos battery is failing and where can I get a new one? i looked at best buy (which didnt even sell mobos....) and circuit city but neither had one. I don't see how a cmos battery would be doing all this but its worth a shot

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
You can get a battery at radio shack,

I am not so sure this is a bad motherboard because it beeps

Try the bench test, lay the board only on a piece of cardboard and connect only

psu
cpu with fan&heatsink
video card
1 stick ram
mouse,keyboard, monitor
Case speaker

Clear the cmos, make sure the computer is unplugged from the wall outlet when you do, read your manual on how to do this.

Check all jumpers are set correctly, again the manual will explain these.

Make sure the aux 12V from the psu to the motherboard is connected.

To start touch the 2 pins that the case switch is connected to with a screwdriver.

Its important to use the thermaltake psu at this point or another known working one, the only mainpart you have not swaped out is the ram correct? Can you try another stick?

I am suggesting the bench test because the board gave a error beep so there is hope, but if after this and you get same result and with all the parts you have changed it must be the board. You could try ebay to find a board like yours

bigght

bigght

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Nick, Let me add some info, that may help. I have been having the same issues as You. blah,blahblah, lol. Been a custom builder for 10 years, so I pretty much know my stuff. But this ASUS P4P800se, has been doing the same random shutdown, then reboot, then now all the fans come on and I cannot get a image on my screen. It was working fine lasttime I used it. I pretty much figure, its the motherboard. Just so weird that it worked like a charm, but thats components for You. I have removed every component, including, video card, (Radeon) X1950Pro and ram(Kingston Hyper X) which I know work, and I just have no post. About 1 year ago, my front fan and rear fans monitor readings disappeared from ASUS probe and didn't even show up in Everest Pro, even though the fans(Antec) worked fine. If Your motherboards about 5 years old, as mine is, I pretty much figure its had its day.
Well, if You are like me and don't want to spend $$ for new ram, PCIX gpu, then the ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 mainboard, may be the way to go. Google it and see what You think. It has good reviews.
p.s.
http://www.geeks.com...Y...AID&cpc=SCH. This product might be very useful.
Good luck

Nick_D

Nick_D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Well, the bench test didnt work, same thing happened. I also used my brother's RAM which I know works.

Thank you all for your help this far, i think im just gonna get a new mobo.

bigght, I'm really liking that motherboard. It will allow me to gradually upgrade my gpu and my RAM.I Have a question about it though: it says that it supports DDR and DDR2. Does this mean i can run them at the same time, or only have one or the other? also, if i can have both the ddr and ddr2 at the same time, will max system memory be 4 gb or 2 gb? Same question for the graphics card slots. I'm assuming I can only have one at a time but that'd be sweet if i could have 2 graphics card, one pcie and one agp.

skie_m

skie_m

• Pip
  • 7 posts
There will be 4 RAM slots ... 2 black slots, and 2 of another color (shown as the YELLOW ram slots in the picture) ... you can only use 2 of the same color at any time.

The non-standard color will likely be the DDR2 set, while the black pair will be for standard DDR.

You will not be able to use DDR and DDR2 together, max system memory is 2 GB.

You will quite likely only be able to use ONE video card slot at any time ... typically, you will install one card and it will auto-disable the unused slot.

Note that there are no ISA slots available on this motherboard ... older sound cards and modems will not be usable, but you didn't list any of the older stuff, so that should not be an issue for you.

bigght

bigght

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Nick, Ski M is right. You can only use the ram separately as well as the Graphics slots separately as well. Now I did do some more research and I have found another motherboard with the Intel 865PE chipset in socket 775.

check it out here. Various vendors have retail boxes still available.
http://www.ewiz.com/...p?name=MB-865PE

I sent You a message in your inbox. If You use the same chipset, It makes replacing motherboards a lot easier. The ASrock board has lots of features, but it uses the VIAChipset, unlike the Foxconn which uses the same INTEL865 as our ASUS P4P800se

Advertisements

Nick_D

Nick_D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I think I'm going to go ahead and buy the ASRock motherboard. what problems could arise because of the different chipsets? I checked everything else witht he motherboard and it is compatbile with my current setup but im not sure what "Intel 865PE" and "VIAChipsets" do

and skie m, i figured that but i wanted to check to make sure.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
When moving to another chipset you will have to do a repair install of the operating system a format and clean istall is best if you have everthing backed up.

Before installing the new board in the case bench test it first, this is always a god ide to make sure all the core components are good

bigght

bigght

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Nick,
The Chipsets are the circuits that makeup mainboards. If You have like chipsets, say replace a Intel 865pe mainboard with another 865pe mainboard it makes replacing/upgrading a mainboard easier. Your existing harddrive would have the Intel Chipset info loaded into your registry, and changing to the Via, would probably mean doing a complete install. I think I am going with the Foxconn board.

Nick_D

Nick_D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

[bleep]...so i'm going to have to format my hard drive? I have 120 gb full of music and photos and videos and a lot of other things I might not be able to replace. Would I be able to put my hard drive into another computer that has the same / close to the same hardware and then put my data onto an external hard drive so I could save it? or is there any other way I could get the information off my hard drive before formatting?

I've been needing to format anyways..but i was waiting to get my hands on an external hard drive. I also think I lost my windows cd...what a nightmare this has become

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
You can slave the drive in another computer and save your work thats not a problem, if the data is that important do that first.

Then don't be afraid to try the repair install this alot of times works fine.

XP repair install

Geeks to Go repair install guide