Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Randomly Shuts Off -HELP ME PLEASE

• Please log in to reply

Nick_D

Nick_D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Sorry, just typos must have been in a heck of a hurry, I meant to say "are you using any type of dvi to vga adapter" but you answerd that becuase you tried a CRT and different cards.

I'm stumped, I am going to review the hole thread and see what I missed

Don't worry about it, you gave me a lot of good suggestions, thanks for trying i really appreciate it =)

and frankthetank:
I can't even get into cmos to change any of the settings because nothing shows up on the monitor =D i also don't think clearing cmos will help either because it's a new board so all the settings are still factory default

Advertisements

bigght

bigght

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hey Nick, can You write down a list of every component for us, so we can see what You are using. I would also suggest just using the bare minimum, cpu, graphic card, ram and motherboard. Its seriously a possibility that although the ram works in another motherboard, it might not be right for yours.
So list the motherboard make and number, the ram make and speed and your videocard make and number and your cpu

As a longshot, just remember to ground yourself if You are working in low humidity/dry area. Static can be lethal and we don't want to make a bad situation any worse. Although You do get 1 post beep, Do You see any harddrive led activity on your case indicator? That might just indicate that the motherboard controller is working.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Also give the cmos clear a shot you should do this, I thought I already suggested that with the bench test

Nick_D

Nick_D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

bigght, all the specs were posted earlier in the thread and I am trying to boot with just the bare minimum - monitor, graphics card, motherboard, one stick of ram, power supply, and processor
ill try clearing the cmos later too

*edit* tried clearing cmos. didn't fix the problem smile.gif

bigght

bigght

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
hey Nick, I looked in the thread, and didn't see a detailed list of what parts You were using, but I might suggest these scenarios. Its possible that the memory you are using isn't compatible with your motherboard. I would suggest You contact the motherboard manufacturer to see if You have the right spec ram for your board. I have been through this before and discovered the ram to be that issue. If you are using a basic test setup and know your monitor works on another system, then it could be the ram, and someone mentioned before in the thread about a video adapter, say if You are using a dvi or vga adapter, they could be faulty too. Try the adapter switch if You are using 1.

Nick_D

Nick_D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

I am not currently using an adapter, and the ram is the right type for my motherboard =/
I just ordered a new processor, and we'll see if this fixes my problem. I'll edit this post with the results in a little while once I try it out

*Edit* The new processor did not fix my problem, however, I looked online at asrock.com (the maker of the motherboard) and neither of the cpus ended up being on the list of supported cpus. The motherboard box read that it supported Intel Core 2 Duo E6XXX Conroe models and E4XXX Conroe models...i bought an E6650 and an E4600. Im sending newegg an email and hopefully they will let me exchange my motherboard for a different version that supports my processor.

bigght

bigght

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hey Nick, any word on the new board? I feel sorry that I recommended that board and ASRock information was screwed up on compatible cpu's. Hopefully newegg/ASRock will sort this situation out

Nick_D

Nick_D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
i recieved a 4CoreDual-VSTA from newegg (they allowed me to return the other without charging me a restocking fee), but I still get the same problem. My processor is only supported on BIOS versions 2.10 and higher of this board, and I'm guessing that it doesn't have versio 2.10 installed on it since I'm still receiving the same exact problem. How can I upgrade it to V2.10 if I can see nothing on the monitor? I sent an email to support at ASRock.com, but they haven't answered yet.

Nick_D

Nick_D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
ASRock has sent an email reply to me saying that my computer should be booting even if I have an older version of BIOS that doesnt support the E4600 processor. Their only other suggestion was to try another psu...but I know that this one is working because it is brand new and the LED lights on it show that it is working. I also tried some DDR2 that my friend had lying around which didnt work. I also tried clearing cmos again just because I have nothing else to try at this point. None of this has worked. Do any of you have any more suggestions?

bigght

bigght

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Nick, I am actually stumped at this point. Not making much sense to me that You are having the same issues after replacing so many components. I know You mentioned You switched out ddr for ddr 2, but what speed was the ddr2? 667, or 800? At this point, from reading all the threads, You have replaced everything. I am very technical, but at this point, someone else way in and try and figure this out.

Advertisements

Nick_D

Nick_D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
It was DDR667. and I am bringing my computer to my neighbor who is a computer tech of some sort. He is going to bring it to his work whenever he gets a chance. He gave me a few more suggestions when I emailed him with the problem, but he is stumped as well. Hopefully he'll have more resources to work with it at his work.