Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how to reformat CPU and re-install XP with out XP disk?

• Please log in to reply

Tahim79

Tahim79

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
:) I have alot of crashing issues and malware problems. Malware problems have been resolved and system restore will re-infect my CPU. A format will clear all of the unnessesary junk and restore my system properly.
ONE PROBLEM!! I have no XP disk at all what so ever.
Please help!!
Don't know what to do??

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Here is my solution to your problem although you may not like it. I would use a program like Keyfinder to find out your registration key for your windows install. I would then find a ID program, or use system information, to find out what hardware you have in the computer. Now you will go buy a Windows XP OEM CD from Ebay. If you buy a OEM CD that still has a usable registration key and since you already have your own key, you can resell the disk after you get done with it. You reinstall XP from the CD but use your own registration key. Then you are back in business.

The caveat here is 2 things. One time i used the wrong CD (SP2 on a SP1 system) and Microsoft would not let me register the computer, so i had to use the key that came with the CD. I still can't figure out why microsoft did this other than they thought i was using someone elses CD and reg key. The second thing is you will probably have to find the drivers needed to complete the installation and that can take some time.

This takes me to where i am now. I have been using Acronis True Image to make restore CD for peoples computers( that do not have restore CD's). This works well for the computers because it also includes all the programs they have installed on the computer. I also repeatedly tell people to backup, backup and backup again anything they do not want to lose.

SRX660

Tahim79

Tahim79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi, thanks for the quick response. I will give that a shot and see what happens. I used to be a computer god 15years ago. Since then i'm just a working dad. So I'll get back to you with my results.

Once again thanks!!

Tahim79

Tahim79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi I just reinstalled windows that I borrowed from a friend. It actually turned out that my boot files were messed up and that the system would not crash but shutdown on a regular basis. So after reinstalling windows and regulating everything, things are better now. I would like to thankyou for your time you have taken out to respond to this topic. Your help and knowledge is appricated.